30-06 and hammer bullets??

For deer to 500 yards, would you pick the 124 over the 138gr HHT?

As long as your impact velocity is above 1800 - I use 2000 FPS to be conservative, you are good to go with either. And both those bullets will have an effective range for deer way beyond that. We've taken 3 elk with 130 to 140 grain 7MM hammers and they have performed perfectly. our impact velocities have been above 2400 FPS. choose the bullet that is more accurate in your rifle and you can't go wrong.
Absolutely I forgot to say that, at this point I assumed that's a given, all apologies
Which ever bullet you choose 1800fps minimum at your max shooting distance is key

Hello everyone, I'm new to this forum though I've scrolled through for a while now. A few months ago I traded a savage 110 tactical (6.5 PRC) for a cva cascade in 30-06. So far I've loaded up some 150gr FMJ bullets (3067fps) for target shooting to 300 yards or so, and some 165gr sst bullets as a hunting load.

I was curious if anyone has used hammer bullets in the '06 and if so what weight class did you choose. I'm also curious as to what velocity to expect as I've heard they tend to be a decent bit faster than traditional bullets.

I was thinking 166 HH, I mostly hunt white tail as I live in upstate NY, but I'd like to venture out west within the next few years.

Any advice or experiences would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
to what ranges have you taken deer to date so far, as well to what ranges have you been able to practice at? Sounds your trip west is a few years off eh?

to what ranges have you taken deer to date so far, as well to what ranges have you been able to practice at? Sounds your trip west is a few years off eh?
I'm very new to hunting, last fall I took my first deer, right around 225. My local range goes to 300 and for now that's all I'm comfortable shooting at game. As for now the trip is a ways off but some friends are going this year and may have a spot open for some mule deer.

Recent Posts