IMR 4166 and Hammer Bullets

The spreadsheet is there. I just updated it again 2 days ago. Multiple people have opened it in the last 2 days.
It may not list your specific powder, but you can draw conclusions based upon burn rates of listed powders. Make an educated guess based upon burn rate and work up loads using powder you have.
G

Found it, TY. Doesn't look like much if anything new on the 6.5-06 or 6.5-06AI front. The "fastest" I have now is either Reloder 19 or IMR4955. Seems like IMR4451 might fit the bill.

Found it, TY. Doesn't look like much if anything new on the 6.5-06 or 6.5-06AI front. The "fastest" I have now is either Reloder 19 or IMR4955. Seems like IMR4451 might fit the bill.
I use 4451 in numerous loads but not with the hammers. Works great in what I use it in. In stock here.

I've used it in 6 BR and it's closer to 4064 in burn rate. I think it's definitely faster burning than Varget. It works great in BR, but I've never tried it in 6 Creedmoor. I suspect it would work okay, but run a little slow. I always go for lower rain safe nodes so it might be acceptable for me.

I've used it in 6 BR and it's closer to 4064 in burn rate. I think it's definitely faster burning than Varget. It works great in BR, but I've never tried it in 6 Creedmoor. I suspect it would work okay, but run a little slow. I always go for lower rain safe nodes so it might be acceptable for me.
If you're talking about 4451 it's slower than Varget on the Hodgdon burn rate chart. It's right there with H4350 and RL16. 4166 is for sure faster than Varget and was way too fast for me in the 6 Creedmoor with a 101 HH. Case fill in the 6CM was too low.

076C2F6E-EBD8-4E0E-9ADD-078E29F093B8.jpeg

Last edited:
If you're talking about 4451 it's slower than Varget on the Hodgdon burn rate chart. It's right there with H4350 and RL16. 4166 is for sure faster than Varget and was way too fast for me in the 6 Creedmoor with a 101 HH. Case fill in the 6CM was too low.

View attachment 272415

That's pretty much my assessment of IMR4166; a bit too fast and insufficient weight fill.

ETA: Then again it might take 3 or 4 more grains of IMR4166 than I'm expecting it to.

Last edited: