IMR 4166 and Hammer Bullets

****, this thread went way off the original topic, all I was hoping for was some good load data on the Hammer Hunters with IMR 4166 and it turned into MBG, Gay Bob in Long *** pants, ****... Two people provided some good data, thanks for the info..

Sorry brother. I think it will be too fast as it was for me. Give it a go though. I'd start around 40-41 grains if it were me in the 6.5 CM. You may have better luck than I did as your starting point will be a little higher, so case fill is better. I'm no expert though.

Last edited:
Do you have any thoughts about using IMR4955 with a 123 grain Absolute in a 6.5-06 or 6.5-06AI?
I'm going to say it's too slow for the Absolute. I used H4831 with the 124 gr Hunter in my 6.5-284 Norma with great success. Since case capacity of the Norma and the 6.5-06 are basically identical, I think you can get an idea by looking at both cartridges load data.
I'm sure HV100 (or same burn rate) would probably work well with the 123gr Absolute. I'm using it with the 109gr Absolute in my Norma, and getting great accuracy and speed (3511 fps).

I'm going to say it's too slow for the Absolute. I used H4831 with the 124 gr Hunter in my 6.5-284 Norma with great success. Since case capacity of the Norma and the 6.5-06 are basically identical, I think you can get an idea by looking at both cartridges load data.
I'm sure HV100 (or same burn rate) would probably work well with the 123gr Absolute. I'm using it with the 109gr Absolute in my Norma, and getting great accuracy and speed (3511 fps).

For IMR4166 [which I don't have any of] with the 123 Absolute, QuickLoad suggests 49.2 grains which is 89.5% case fill. My starting load would be 2 grains below that since QL is supposedly set for Winchester brand brass and I was advised to start 2 grains lower with other brands of brass, esp. if one wants to preserve case life. 51.1 grains of IMR4451 gives 90% case fill. My goal from now on is to use only those powders that have a copper fouling reducer added.
The choices in my larder are Reloder 19, Reloder 22, Reloder 23, Reloder 26, N165, IMR4955 and IMR 7977.

For IMR4166 [which I don't have any of] with the 123 Absolute, QuickLoad suggests 49.2 grains which is 89.5% case fill. My starting load would be 2 grains below that since QL is supposedly set for Winchester brand brass and I was advised to start 2 grains lower with other brands of brass, esp. if one wants to preserve case life. 51.1 grains of IMR4451 gives 90% case fill. My goal from now on is to use only those powders that have a copper fouling reducer added.
The choices in my larder are Reloder 19, Reloder 22, Reloder 23, Reloder 26, N165, IMR4955 and IMR 7977.
Does quickload have all the Hammer Hunters listed also?

Look at the spreadsheet in the Absolute Hammer Load Data thread. Much guidance there. Post #2
I have 3 different spreadsheets for Absolute Hammer loading data. There is no spreadsheet in post #2. The closest I can find to my need is someone posted a load using Reloder 23 and velocities exceeding 3500 fps. My understanding for the Absolutes is to use the fastest powder that gives the most case fill.

QL will not work with the AH's or the HH's for that matter, you can tweak a bunch of parameters but it's a no go

I have 3 different spreadsheets for Absolute Hammer loading data. There is no spreadsheet in post #2. The closest I can find to my need is someone posted a load using Reloder 23 and velocities exceeding 3500 fps. My understanding for the Absolutes is to use the fastest powder that gives the most case fill.
The spreadsheet is there. I just updated it again 2 days ago. Multiple people have opened it in the last 2 days.
It may not list your specific powder, but you can draw conclusions based upon burn rates of listed powders. Make an educated guess based upon burn rate and work up loads using powder you have.
G

Do you have any thoughts about using IMR4955 with a 123 grain Absolute in a 6.5-06 or 6.5-06AI?

While not a direct match I do have a 6.5 PRC which has a similar capacity, I maxed out at 59.4 which gave a 0.13 MOA group and 3340 fps with heavy ejector marks. Personal opinion is that the Hybrid 100v and StaBall 6.5 burn rate is around the sweet spot for those sized cartridges with the 123gr Absolute. In ADG brass 58.6gr StaBall 6.5 gets me right around 3300 fps out of a 24" barrel.

longrangehunting.com/threads/absolute-hammer-load-data.2

The second post on this page has the load data, I just clicked on it to make sure it work