H4350 vs Imr 4166??

I'm going to use some 120gr Hammer Hunters in a 284 Winchester, had someone tell me they use IMR 4166 and have .012"
That makes me really want the 4166 but would have to buy an 8 lb jug @$413
But I have plenty of H4350, so what are y'alls thoughts?? Both are temp stable
That was likely me Heather. 4166 and the entire enduron line was discontinued. Ive had amazing results with it in 284 with 120 hh. Pressured out at 3308 fps and largest group was .477. Smallest .012. Slightly faster powders normally work better with hammers and i get better results with them. Im sure h4350 will work fine for you. I seldom use my slow burning powders these days and stick to powders with 96-100% burn. It has worked great for me with copper bullets. Keep us posted.

Those powders you are looking at aren't on the market and haven't been for quite a while. Hodgdon isn't or can't supply it anylonger. There supplier can't supply. So I would beware of it. Sound like somebody is trying to string you along. I would watch it. That a hell of alot of money for 8#'s.
Not trying to string anyone along. It works for me and i have plenty of it and what i said was true

H4350 load data with a 120gr shows max around 3,150 fps with 120gr bullet in a 24" barrel. Varget is around the same but with less powder.

If you can get 8 lbs, or double that of 4166 and will last you a long time, then get it while they are still around.

That was likely me Heather. 4166 and the entire enduron line was discontinued. Ive had amazing results with it in 284 with 120 hh. Pressured out at 3308 fps and largest group was .477. Smallest .012. Slightly faster powders normally work better with hammers and i get better results with them. Im sure h4350 will work fine for you. I seldom use my slow burning powders these days and stick to powders with 96-100% burn. It has worked great for me with copper bullets. Keep us posted.
Yes it was:) i was impressed with the results

I have a great load using IMR-4451 for one of my rifles and have about 7 lbs left, and if I come across some more I'll get it. I'll worry about working a different load when the time comes.

...as always, H-4350 shines on...the "mother's milk" of reloading. Hard to beat in any caliber based on the /06 casing...great in all calibers of ShortMags, and not bad even in the belted casings either, might give up a 100fps but it'll be clean and always great accuracy...I can think of no better "if you could only have one powder"...

I have a great load using IMR-4451 for one of my rifles and have about 7 lbs left, and if I come across some more I'll get it. I'll worry about working a different load when the time comes.
I tested that also in my 284 with 120 gr. Largest group was 1.010 and smallest was .493". I found it peaked quickly but accuracy got better the closer to max I got.

You might look at VIGHTAVUORI POWDERS. N110 thru N170 are single based powders. I haven't used any of them. I've been waiting for some other powders to come up on the market to order some 1# can to see how they really work. There other powders are double based powders, which I stay away from due to temp possible problems. The powder burn rate is in those areas that people are looking at.

You might look at VIGHTAVUORI POWDERS. N110 thru N170 are single based powders. I haven't used any of them. I've been waiting for some other powders to come up on the market to order some 1# can to see how they really work. There other powders are double based powders, which I stay away from due to temp possible problems. The powder burn rate is in those areas that people are looking at.
I have N110 as well but too fast burning for me to try in a 284
I have N110 I've been trying to rid of for a while but nobody seems to want 8lb jugs. I haven't done much small caliber loading to use much of my N110

Thats a shame. My 6 BR shot better with 4166 than it did with Varget.
Grab it while you can

I have N110 as well but too fast burning for me to try in a 284
I have N110 I've been trying to rid of for a while but nobody seems to want 8lb jugs. I haven't done much small caliber loading to use much of my N110
That the problem in getting large amounts of powder at one time. Then again if you really like it and you only purchased a 1#. Then you wished you had gotten 8#'s. Worst of it, is you can't get that type of powder. OUT OF STOCK!
Now I research the powders and read about them. I do have some go to powders and buy at 8#'s at a time. I know that you should get same lot powders, but that either very hard or the cost is out of line. So dam if you do, and dam if you don't. Full Steam ahead.

Grab it while you can
I think 4895 would work too, but thanks for the alert!