H4350 vs Imr 4166??

Heather

I'm going to use some 120gr Hammer Hunters in a 284 Winchester, had someone tell me they use IMR 4166 and have .012"
That makes me really want the 4166 but would have to buy an 8 lb jug @$413
But I have plenty of H4350, so what are y'alls thoughts?? Both are temp stable

H4350 is my go to powder for midsize cartridges like both 6 and 6.5 creeds, and it works well in the 7-08 with 120s. I tried 4166 in a few cartridges without success which biases me against trying it in others. I would tell you to always try to use what I had on hand first. If the 4350 works, no need to buy something new.

H4350 is my go to powder for midsize cartridges like both 6 and 6.5 creeds, and it works well in the 7-08 with 120s. I tried 4166 in a few cartridges without success which biases me against trying it in others. I would tell you to always try to use what I had on hand first. If the 4350 works, no need to buy something new.
Thanks so much that's what I'm thinking

On the Hodgdon load data site, they only recommend the IMR4955 powder with the 120 grain bullets in 6.5 PRC. So you're correct in that the 147 ELDM is probably a little heavy. The fact that it's being discontinued would probably the final straw for me in not using the 4955 powder.

IMR 4166 is a faster burn rate (think Varget class) than H4350. I have seen IMR4451 as an alternative to H4350. Maybe you want that 4166 burn rate but seems "fast".
Very true I did see it on the chart but Varget is by far much faster. I believe the H4350 would be more suitable for the 284 win

1671586594979.png

Not uncommon for the burn rate charts to be more a guidance than a pure ranking. Someone more informed than me can help explain more accurately. I shoot PRS with 6BR, 6BRA, and now 6 Dasher therefore Varget is a popular powder. With the previous shortage of Varget (and H4350), I kept the burn rate chart close at hand to look for alternatives.

Not uncommon for the burn rate charts to be more a guidance than a pure ranking. Someone more informed than me can help explain more accurately. I shoot PRS with 6BR, 6BRA, and now 6 Dasher therefore Varget is a popular powder. With the previous shortage of Varget (and H4350), I kept the burn rate chart close at hand to look for alternatives.
Thats why I've had mine printed and in my reloading books. Not to mention they're a little expensive to keep on hand. Shot myself in the foot getting 24lbs of N570 for about $2k, as it's my most popular one that gets extremely good results in the weather conditions. So I try not to buy anymore powder😬

I'm going to use some 120gr Hammer Hunters in a 284 Winchester, had someone tell me they use IMR 4166 and have .012"
That makes me really want the 4166 but would have to buy an 8 lb jug @$413
But I have plenty of H4350, so what are y'alls thoughts?? Both are temp stable
Those powders you are looking at aren't on the market and haven't been for quite a while. Hodgdon isn't or can't supply it anylonger. There supplier can't supply. So I would beware of it. Sound like somebody is trying to string you along. I would watch it. That a hell of alot of money for 8#'s.