Imr 4166 ( new )

image.jpgActually did today, shot 3 shot groups starting with data from the hodgons site. Started at 38.5 and worked up to 43.5 (listed max)in one grain increments then moved on to 44.5 grains in .3 gr increments. Loaded in cheap Pmc brass with 168 hornady match bthp seated to 2.812-2.814 (best I can do without a comparator). Listed charge weights grouping varied wildly until I got to 43.8 grs, this one measured .464 straight up, little ragged clover leaf. However 44, 44.2, and 45 grouped very well all well under 1/2 to 3/4 moa at 100 yards out of my savage flcp-k with a bi-pod and rear bag. Never did run into any pressure signs. The thing that gets me is my pet load for this gun was 43.5 grs of RL 15 under a 168 and that was chrono'd knocking on the door of 2700 fps, and when I hit hit 43.8 they were running fast enough to be 2.5+" higher. No idea of speed, but they seem to be getting it done.

gun)

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.