.270 the best?

Arguing over deer calibers... is like arguing over which tires are better on the "grocery getter" for hitting opossums on the highway.

You can shout ".270 Winchester" all day long from the highest mountain, but it still doesn't make you cool.
You might want to rethink that statement Dog Rocket. If you are shouting from the highest mountain--you are not just cool, you are probably freezing!

Arguing over deer calibers... is like arguing over which tires are better on the "grocery getter" for hitting opossums on the highway.

You can shout ".270 Winchester" all day long from the highest mountain, but it still doesn't make you cool.
Just like Rifleman97 said. Everyone's entitled to their own opinion. As someone said, "Everybody has one" etc.,etc.,etc.

.270 AI atop the mountain.jpg

My .270 AI on top of a mountain, no shouting required.

Highest hill then? Tallest tree? How 'bout highest hay bale at the hootenanny?
Highest hill then? Tallest tree? How 'bout highest hay bale at the hootenanny?
Yep, that ought to get you back down to where you would belong if you were touting the .270 Win. Maybe someone could just whisper their love for the .270. Use to I wouldn't shoot/buy anything without a belted case because I think belted cases look "cool." With all the head spacing and all the head knocking going around today, I think I might be laughed at for those thoughts today. Besides, I am getting fairly deep into pistol hunting these days. A few newish calibers and new components make for some exciting still hunting. No, not that kind of still hunting.

Who thinks the .270 Winchester is the best deer round ever created? I think it just might be the absolute best. And which load is better for deer, the 130 grain or the 150 grain? I prefer the 150. You get great penetration from the 150.
I have been using a .270 going on 30 years, with primarily 130gr bullets. Always shot factory stuff, then a few years back I started reloading, bought a better rifle and putting Hornady 145 ELDX's 1000 yards down range with .5 MOA.
I have shot several whitetail deer and mule deer out to 400 with DRT impacts. Maybe a few steps but they've all dropped. I may test it out to 500 this year, because the tables show it is more than capable and I'm consistent at those ranges.
I've had several other rifles and calibers, and I always seem to fall back on the time proven .270 Winchester.
Happy hunting!

I thought I would wade into this one just because I own more than one 270.
First, I like the 270 Win, I like the 0.277" diameter slugs. My 270 was my first hunting rifle when I was 18. Forgive me shooting gods, it was a Savage 110 and only shot 110, 120, 140 grain BARNES slugs well. nothing else would shoot well in that gun, but I did not care. 110 grain for coyote, 120 grain for deer, and 140 grain for Elk worked out stunningly. However: after AA 3100 was discontinued the rifle would not shoot well with any other powder I tried. I sold it and bought my second 270 Win. this new brand called Tikka. model 695. I still own that one. it would shoot practically any slug, any powder fairly well. 1" was extreme for this gun. however it does not like 150 or 160 grain slugs. Any other slug weight under 150 it will shoot with acceptable accuracy. to that I have added a Win 70 featherweight carbine in 270 Win, a Kimber 8400 270 WSM Montana, and a Win 70 270 WSM. yes, I do like the 0.277" slugs and the cartridges that shoot them. I do not like the Weatherby cases so I did not buy a 270 Weatherby. however right now I am pondering rebuilding a lost rifle. it was my big middle finger to the 7MM R/M crowd/cult. 270 wildcat off the 7 MM R/M case. all I need is the Win 70 action and a good stock then I will build the rifle again. I should state I do not only have 270's I have 300's, 338's, 458's, 375, 223's, 172's and 321's. I am thinking of adding one more caliber to my bunch.. a singular 6.5 Grendel. but my first love was the 270. I still enjoy them and will most likely never give them up.

I guess we all defend ourselves with Rocks next..

Till they take our rocks away too!
skipglo: I have to tell you right up front that I don't think I can ever forgive you for killing my bear. With that said, it is apparent that we have other things in common as well. I thought they might come after our guns slowly, like semi-auto pistols, then semi-auto rifles, and then shotguns. I am sorry, that will start as soon as they have taken away our AR-15 and AK-47 and other "Military types" of firearms and high capacity magazines. I guess bolt guns will be next. I have but one question: who is actually come to people's homes and take their weapons? No one is even trying to hide the fact that our Second Amendment, as well as our First Amendment rights, are going to be a thing of the past.

Last edited:
My really love is my 721 Rem in a 22" barrel. under 3" groups at 500yds. I made a few kills at that range, and Antelope too. Most of the time under 200yds. My cousins using 270, and I took a lot of deer during our time. I am the last of the that group.

My dad's Model 721, .270, bought new in 1952. Shoots hand loads at .400 MOA, have it set up for his great-grandkids deer hunt this January in Texas. Love this rifle.

Attachments

• 578AEB00-3F72-4221-BDC2-A99D319AD08C.jpeg
    578AEB00-3F72-4221-BDC2-A99D319AD08C.jpeg
    1,019.7 KB · Views: 104
Yep, that ought to get you back down to where you would belong if you were touting the .270 Win. Maybe someone could just whisper their love for the .270. Use to I wouldn't shoot/buy anything without a belted case because I think belted cases look "cool." With all the head spacing and all the head knocking going around today, I think I might be laughed at for those thoughts today. Besides, I am getting fairly deep into pistol hunting these days. A few newish calibers and new components make for some exciting still hunting. No, not that kind of still hunting.
I never understood all the hair splitting comparisons between calibers. I shoot 223/5.56, 308 Win, 30-06, 300 Winmag. I pretty much have everything covered with those.

I shoot 223 and 308 because the are easy to make accurate, components are cheap and available anywhere, and brass is very often free if I care to pick it up.

I shoot 30-06 because my dad gave me one. I took it to Namibia and killed about 30 animals with it. Shortest shot was a warthog at 225 yards, and longest was a red hartebeest at 730 yards. It killed everything just fine. Killed a couple elk from 150 yards and 300 yards with it as well.

I shoot 300 Winmag for murdering steel at 1500 - 1763 yards. Never hunted with one. Never felt I needed it.

I have no emotional attachment to any of them. To me a gun is a tool. I use them the way a carpenter might use a Krylon covered hammer.

All this 270 talk reminds me of a statement Elmer made about JOC's 270. It is a damned adequate coyote rifle. IIRC they were both gun editors in different magazines and had a great time poking fun at each other. Think it boosted sales.

Not a 270 basher, I have had a few along with at least 25 other chamberings over the decades.

270 isn't for me. I prefer 30 cals and up for the extra wide hole. Bigger hole=faster death. 30-06 is pretty much perfect for most hunting, and is available everywhere. The 270 for hand loading is pretty boring too, since there's not a single quality long bullet to have high BC. And, even if there was, the 270's you buy off the shelf have too slow of a Twist rate.

I prefer the 30 wsm, or even 30 nosler, but they're not near as common and has a shorter barrel life, so I won't say much more on those.

270 is great for 400 yards, but this forum is "Long range" so it's the wrong community for the 270 love. It's a good round, but I'd never call it the best at anything. Like a pair of pliers, It'll get anything done but it's not perfect at anything.

but that's just my opinion.
Long range is also a matter of opinion. 150 yards might be long range for a .22LR; as is 300 yards for a 30-30. The distance is not so much "long range" but challenging yourself to extend the range with your weapon of choice. JMO

Yes, I'm working on a 300 WM and hopefully one day I will ring steel at 1000 yards; but for now I have to accept shorter distances as "long range".

KEEP SHOOTING AND HAVING FUN 🤗

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.