270 WIN BEST POWDER ELK

TX -
Great question! If it was my choice it would my 300 Rum +200 reg Accubond but the hunter is set on 270 Win + Mono. A lot of my concern it is one of those " Steep, Deep , Weep " spots and I want that sucker anchored for I will have to help pack quarters. I obviously do not know the very best combo for his 270 but out of the several mono kills I have witnessed the Hammers seem to be more devastating hit. I just want to encourage him to get what bullet he picks smoking fast.

I like N560 work up to about 60 grains with 130's and H4831 work up to 58 grains with 150's. The 150 NPT is a great bullet choice.

Good luck and shoot straight y'all

TX -
Great question! If it was my choice it would my 300 Rum +200 reg Accubond but the hunter is set on 270 Win + Mono. A lot of my concern it is one of those " Steep, Deep , Weep " spots and I want that sucker anchored for I will have to help pack quarters. I obviously do not know the very best combo for his 270 but out of the several mono kills I have witnessed the Hammers seem to be more devastating hit. I just want to encourage him to get what bullet he picks smoking fast.

Ah, I see, neither are your choice. That makes more sense. BTW I've got nothing against Hammers, I've never even used them. All that I meant was that a heavy for caliber/high BC bullet would carry energy better further out. Hunting in CA was the only other rationale I could think of.

I pulled out my Barnes loads from my days up in Montana; I used Barnes X&TSX 140's for Elk. My Win 70 in 270 Win loved RL 19 when I could not get H-4350 or IMR 4831. RL-19: 56.2 grains, H-4350: 53.8 grains, IMR 4831: 56.4 grains. the projo was seated 0.065" off the lands. not the typical 0.100" off the lands.

STEVE -
Wow -
Good for you and your note re Jack Oconnors loads. I believe it read 62. gr of H 4831 according to my 7th ed Hornady book is max but a sweet 3100 fps with 130s

A near max load of either H4350 or IMR 4451 pushes the 129 LRX to 3100fps in my 24" barrel 270 win and does so very accurately. This is a very lethal load.
Interesting, 54.0 of H4350 only gets me to 2900+ out of a 22" Browning with 130 TTSX. Primers are flat. I load the 130 SST lighter, 53.0 for accuracy; seems like they don't like to go as fast as the Barnes.

Yesterday we went to the desert and tested loads for a newly purchased.270 Win. I've always had best accuracy with H4831SC for .270 Win regardless the bullet. Yesterday's test loads had a new winner, H4350 by over .100". Also tested IMR 4451as well. I was shooting the 140 gr. Berger Classic Hunter. The hunter carrying this rifle is a 70 year young lady on an elk hunt. Very mild recoil and sub-MOA. Tomorrow I'll play with the seating and load more of the most accurate to verify them, out to the desert Wednesday morning.
I have been around 150+ deer taken by 270 with 130 Gr Sierra STBT loaded with IMR 4831. It did the job and not much in the way of blood shot meat. The shots were from any direction you can think about. P.S. H4831 wasn't around at that time. I have always like the 130 Sierra for deer. The hunter I hunted with are all gone now. I am the last of that group. It's not a powder burner either. If I was reloading the round. I would use H4831SC the weather doesn't have much effect on it.

SSS

As a kid I idolized Jack O'Connor, who was the "Father of the Winchester. 270" and the Shooting Editor of Outdoor Life for over 30 years. He believed and proved you could kill any game in North America with a 130 grain bullet out of the 270 Winchester and proved it with one shot kills. Needless to say my first large game rifle was a. 270. The first bullet I loaded was a 130 grain Nosler Partition. I took 32 deer and 17 elk between 1958-1986 with that rifle and bullet combination loaded with IMR 4831 Military surplus powder I bought for 59 cents a pound. In Idaho we often had units with extra tags for deer following light winters. I quit elk hunting with it in 1986 after a incident involving a Grizzly bear and switched to a. 338 Winchester. I have shot a couple of whitetails since but once I got started LR Shooting it became a safe queen
Once I was bitten by the long range bug I started building my own rifles and the new cartridges that were called "Wildcats " in my earlier days now make it to fruition desired by other shooters. The hunting loads that most of us load today are better by far than the target load of yesterday. In fact with the equipment we now have, many loads shot by handloaders are equal to the accuracy of target shooters.
Just think about all of the elk I have taken with the 130 grain Nosler Partition in 270 Winchester and I think I took 5 from between 300 and 400 yards. Shoots flatter up to the 435 yard mark so why mess with something that works. I have said this many times in my life to hunters wanting faster speeds on their loads " I have never been able to get as good of a group that is high speed as I can in a little lower speed reload. Never have and never will!

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.