270 WIN BEST POWDER ELK

Draftmule

Not my choice but assisting a young hunter reload for reg 10 twist 700. Average shot distance this area is 350 yds. Plan on using Hammers. Please offer your thoughts on best starting powder. I have on hand almost all currently popular powders. Thanks!

Reloader 23 works very well for me in both a Remington 700, and a beautiful model 70 Supergrade, both in 270 Win. Its a temperature stable powder that has proven to provide very good velocity and accuracy in my rifles. I used to use Reloader 22 until I did some temperature testing and discovered that it suffered from some rather extreme velocity spreads at different temperatures. I repeated these tests using 23, and found that it virtually eliminated the problem. I also use this powder in my 6.5 x 55, and 300 Weatherby rifles with very good results.

Funny how some people still bring up the unicorn powder, RL 26, when I haven't seen it for sale in over a year and a half. Some might have hoarded it and maybe some are finding it, just not the case for me. Unless I could grab a couple of kegs at any time, I give up.

Not my choice but assisting a young hunter reload for reg 10 twist 700. Average shot distance this area is 350 yds. Plan on using Hammers. Please offer your thoughts on best starting powder. I have on hand almost all currently popular powders. Thanks!
I have had better luck with rl 23

I have loaded for several 270 magnums but no experience reloading for 270 Win. My goal for him is 3100 MV and as close to 1700 energy as possible, is that do able with those powders?

I used H4831/130's since I started shooting the 270 in 86. I tried Rl 26 a few years ago. Now I'm running it exclusively in the 270. The 130's(sst, nos btip, SGK, and speer) can all be pushed to 3250 before I hit pressure I'm shooting the sst and Nosler at 3140 with 61.2 in FC brass. I'm also shooting the 140 game-changer at the same speed 3140. I ran up to 3190 but it shot well at the 3140 mark so I didn't go any further. My ES for 5 shots is 3fps. and it is accurate. This is a factory Weatherby vangard 24". I have done a ladder with 145eldx's and they too will run up close to 3200fps also but I have not pursued it due to having a ton of 130's to shoot up first.
I'm loading a friend's with 150 interbonds and I hope to run the ladder test this weekend
For the hammers I'd think Rl16 would be a better route to try. I don't think you will get to pressure with the slower powders. Steve @Hammer would be a best source for powder choice.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.