270 WIN BEST POWDER ELK

I'm not familiar with Hammer bullets as mentioned in the original post, but I tried many bullets and powders in a new Cooper .270 about ten years ago. Overall and to my surprise, best accuracy with all bullet weights (130 -150 grains) was achieved with Reloder 19. However, the accuracy advantage, while measureable, was often not great.

I've pretty much gone exclusively to the Hodgdon Extreme powders for many rifle cartridges because fall temperatures can vary so widely in the mountainous western US. A .270 bullet I've had good results with on bull elk has been the Barnes 130 TSX BT. I've used a lot of H4831 in various .270s, but usually find H4350 will do at least as well from both velocity and accuracy perspectives. H4350 is my choice in the Cooper .270. Either powder can safely drive a 130 grain bullet to 3100 fps or a little more.

OP,

I have not had the pleasure of working with Hammer bullets.

Don't overlook the Nosler 140gr Accubond. I changed my young shooters from 150gr Partitions to 140grn Accubonds due to the excellent results I had with Accubonds in my 7mm.

The 140grn Accubonds penetrate and mushroom very well at ~3000fps. Nothing scientific but the Accubond seems to hit harder than the 150 Partition. Like I said, nothing scientific, I am going off what appears to be happening at the moment of impact.

Ok, here's my experience with my rig, 24" with modified 98 Mauser action, tapered barrel. I use 135grn SMK, with Match Federal Primers GM210M, and Winchester brass. My rig likes 2900ft/sec speeds with 1:11 twist, and these loads are what I run with for accuracy (1/2" MOA):
1) H1000, at 59.9 grns (Best of Best)
2) H4831, at 56.0 grns (very close to BofB)
3) XMR 3100, 55.7 grns (No longer made, but if available, USE IT)
NOTE: You may have to play with COL to see if the loads like a small jump to the rifling.
NOTE: Heavier bullet with tighter twist

Reloader 26 and a 150 bullet. In my 26" barreled 270 it is over and above anything I ever tried. Fast and accurate, seldom does one see the two together.
Book load.

Not my choice but assisting a young hunter reload for reg 10 twist 700. Average shot distance this area is 350 yds. Plan on using Hammers. Please offer your thoughts on best starting powder. I have on hand almost all currently popular powders. Thanks!

I'm assuming it's not your choice bc you'd choose a cartridge with better ballistics... Why then are you choosing a bullet that further limits said ballistics?

Funny how some people still bring up the unicorn powder, RL 26, when I haven't seen it for sale in over a year and a half. Some might have hoarded it and maybe some are finding it, just not the case for me. Unless I could grab a couple of kegs at any time, I give up.
Just bought a keg of Reloader 26 yesterday. It's out there!

If you want something that is always in stock and has great performance, Try Superformance with 130 grain to 150. This powder is awesome for the 270..

Funny how some people still bring up the unicorn powder, RL 26, when I haven't seen it for sale in over a year and a half. Some might have hoarded it and maybe some are finding it, just not the case for me. Unless I could grab a couple of kegs at any time, I give up.
No kegs of RL 26 in Tulsa but saw 20 1# er's and bought 6 last week. Dealer said H1000 would be there the next day and got 10 of those. Maybe this means the long drought is about to end??? I don't think there is anything special about Tulsa OK that would give it any sort of priority over any other medium sized city. We also have H4350.

Rl26 starting loads 59 for 130s 58140s and 57 150s. Im running 61.2 in fc for 130sst and nos bt130. 61.4 in win brass for 140 game changers for reference

A near max load of either H4350 or IMR 4451 pushes the 129 LRX to 3100fps in my 24" barrel 270 win and does so very accurately. This is a very lethal load.

Not my choice but assisting a young hunter reload for reg 10 twist 700. Average shot distance this area is 350 yds. Plan on using Hammers. Please offer your thoughts on best starting powder. I have on hand almost all currently popular powders. Thanks!
Try H4831 SC amazing results

My Win 70 270 has a factory 24" Bbl. Right out of the Barnes manual 59.5 grs Rel 19 driving the Barnes 130gr TTSX, 3211 fps over my chrono. Sub 1/2" . Very flat shooting & will take elk cleanly with complete penetration. Simple & easy.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.