.270 the best?

skipglo: I have to tell you right up front that I don't think I can ever forgive you for killing my bear. With that said, it is apparent that we have other things in common as well. I thought they might come after our guns slowly, like semi-auto pistols, then semi-auto rifles, and then shotguns. I am sorry, that will start as soon as they have taken away our AR-15 and AK-47 and other "Military types" of firearms and high capacity magazines. I guess bolt guns will be next. I have but one question: who is actually come to people's homes and take their weapons? No one is even trying to hide the fact that our Second Amendment, as well as our First Amendment rights, are going to be a thing of the past.
You can pretty much be rest assured it will the armies. I have been collecting guns since i was 13 and bought my first .410 shotgun. 50 years later I have over 60 weapons. If they show up at my door without a check for today's replacement value of the guns.....well...at my age...a Life Sentence....just doesn't mean that much anymore!

All this 270 talk reminds me of a statement Elmer made about JOC's 270. It is a damned adequate coyote rifle. IIRC they were both gun editors in different magazines and had a great time poking fun at each other. Think it boosted sales.

Not a 270 basher, I have had a few along with at least 25 other chamberings over the decades.
Actually, Elmer didn't just poke fun at Jack, he hated him and his .270. Elmer had a "grew up poor and poorly educated" small-man complex whereas Jack was a highly-educated egalitarian professor. So, Elmer hated Jack and all he stood for while Jack could care less for Elmer and his "big bore" opinions and that further fueled Elmer's dislike. No worse "put down" than simply ignoring someone... 🙂

I know how lucky I am to have my brother-in-law's place to hunt on. That is why I work so hard there. I never liked hunting gov'ment land. Back when there were no ATVs and UTVs and fewer people tearing up everything and leaving their trash where it does not belong, the Gov'ment didn't feel the need to block out hunters. I truly feel sorry for you and all the hunters that don't ruin everything they touch. There oughta be a bounty.
You are welcome to come to Alberta....i have access to over 40,000 acres under lock and key Treeslug and a 160 acres of my own land that joins to it! And a cabin where you can work as much as you want!

Long range is also a matter of opinion. 150 yards might be long range for a .22LR; as is 300 yards for a 30-30.
Regardless of caliber or cartridge, about the time you get to 3mils (10moa) of elevation is when the firing solution moves beyond basic fundamentals and wind reading becomes critical for a hit.

This is where I consider longrange to start. JMO

You can pretty much be rest assured it will the armies. I have been collecting guns since i was 13 and bought my first .410 shotgun. 50 years later I have over 60 weapons. If they show up at my door without a check for today's replacement value of the guns.....well...at my age...a Life Sentence....just doesn't mean that much anymore!
skipglo: My first gun was a $29 .410 bolt action shotgun. It never fed the shells very well so it was mostly a single shot that held 3 additional rounds in the magazine. I had a nice collection of long guns and handguns until 1971 when my little brother decided that my guns would help him with his heroin habit. 27 rifle and shotguns and 7 pistols shot up his arm. I keep secret how many guns I have today, but it is not near what I had back in those days. I spent some time in British Columbia, Canada, mostly in Vancouver and that area back in '72. Loved the place. Having lost my guns once makes me ponder the question of what I will do if the government decides they do want my guns. Living in Texas, I kind of hope it is finally enough to get people to stand up and say no to such an idea. There are lots of folks here from California and New York, and they can give up their guns willingly, but true Texans are going to be a little tougher to convince to give up their guns.

You are welcome to come to Alberta....i have access to over 40,000 acres under lock and key Treeslug and a 160 acres of my own land that joins to it! And a cabin where you can work as much as you want!
That is an incredibly wonderful offer and I am not going to say that my health might keep me away, but I may be having knee surgery soon ( I am going to try to get through these cooler months because of the hog hunting) But I might take you up on an offer like that. I could probably swap you for some Texas hunting and some catch and release black bass fishing. Couldn't offer much in the way of big animals, but you could shoot hogs at a long-range and they are legal all year long.

That is an incredibly wonderful offer and I am not going to say that my health might keep me away, but I may be having knee surgery soon ( I am going to try to get through these cooler months because of the hog hunting) But I might take you up on an offer like that. I could probably swap you for some Texas hunting and some catch and release black bass fishing. Couldn't offer much in the way of big animals, but you could shoot hogs at a long-range and they are legal all year long.
Sounds like a deal! I was in Houston a year ago my wife was on a week long course.... brought a rifle along but never could put the hog hunt together!

skipglo: My first gun was a $29 .410 bolt action shotgun. It never fed the shells very well so it was mostly a single shot that held 3 additional rounds in the magazine. I had a nice collection of long guns and handguns until 1971 when my little brother decided that my guns would help him with his heroin habit. 27 rifle and shotguns and 7 pistols shot up his arm. I keep secret how many guns I have today, but it is not near what I had back in those days. I spent some time in British Columbia, Canada, mostly in Vancouver and that area back in '72. Loved the place. Having lost my guns once makes me ponder the question of what I will do if the government decides they do want my guns. Living in Texas, I kind of hope it is finally enough to get people to stand up and say no to such an idea. There are lots of folks here from California and New York, and they can give up their guns willingly, but true Texans are going to be a little tougher to convince to give up their guns.
Amén brother!

Sounds like a deal! I was in Houston a year ago my wife was on a week long course.... brought a rifle along but never could put the hog hunt together!
Brother-in-law does have some big pigs, not huge, but a few wall hangers have been seen this year.
His place is in Bastrop County, Texas, about three hours west and a little north of Houston. If I do enough work on that dozer of his, I could probably sneak you in for a hog hunt.

Brother-in-law does have some big pigs, not huge, but a few wall hangers have been seen this year.
His place is in Bastrop County, Texas, about three hours west and a little north of Houston. If I do enough work on that dozer of his, I could probably sneak you in for a hog hunt.
Let's keep in touch....i can Weld!

I miss the days of Elmer & Jack. 2/3 of the folks here probably haven't heard of them. Truly, I'd love to know what they would think of decent rangefinders, high BC & SD bullets, ballistic computers, 20-30X optics, and sub 1/2 MOA rifles. If you ever get a chance, check out the Cabelas in Boise. They have many of Elmer's guns on display there.

Oops, I haven't been there for a while obviously. I guess the museum is closed and the guns auctioned off...... Too bad.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.