.270 the best?

Okay, The .257 Weatherby is the best. No question. I once owned a .257 Roberts AI. (was relieved of that and many other weapons by a burglar) Shot a smallish buck at 501 paces, however far that is. He was DRT. So I like the .257. But I am thankful as all-get-out that someone somewhere realized that this country needed a 6.5mm bullet to solve all other problems. And to think, I was close to coming out with a 6.4mm or a 6.6mm so everyone could have the perfect DEER cartridge. I'm kidding, sorta. I am actually a 7mm man, but I will shoot any straight-shooting caliber and enjoy the experience. But whatever happens, I doubt that my next rifle will be a 6.5mm. That is more common than the 30-06.
My vote goes to the 250 Savage. Fell in love with it reading Larry Koller's "Shots At Whitetails".

270 isn't for me. I prefer 30 cals and up for the extra wide hole. Bigger hole=faster death. 30-06 is pretty much perfect for most hunting, and is available everywhere. The 270 for hand loading is pretty boring too, since there's not a single quality long bullet to have high BC. And, even if there was, the 270's you buy off the shelf have too slow of a Twist rate.

I prefer the 30 wsm, or even 30 nosler, but they're not near as common and has a shorter barrel life, so I won't say much more on those.

270 is great for 400 yards, but this forum is "Long range" so it's the wrong community for the 270 love. It's a good round, but I'd never call it the best at anything. Like a pair of pliers, It'll get anything done but it's not perfect at anything.

but that's just my opinion.

The 270 and 257 has been so much neglected by the bullet companies that they lag far behind for long range hunting. Everyone is different but I don't really call 500 yards long range hunting. Intermediate at best. But the bullets in 6mm, 6.5, 7mm, 30 and 338 all have heavy for caliber high bc bullets. Back when the 2 famous guys were duking it out with the 270 and 06 500 yards was long range. But with the advent of really good range finders and great bullets in awesome cartridges long range is much farther now. The 270 and 257 each have about 1 bullet that is real high bc and neither can be used in any factory 270 or 257 made. The 257bee is my all time favorite for deer but in reality the 280rem or better yet the 280ai is probably the better of them bulit on the 06 case. Everyone has the idea of what's perfect. But everyone has different parameters in which they hunt. I could kill deer every yr for as long as I live with a 270 if I HAD too. I'm glad I don't have too. And really once you kill a few deer with a 257 bee you will have a hard time picking up anything else.
Shep
I could kill deer every year for as long as I live with a .22 short if I had to, but what would be the fun of that? I have a .54 cal. black powder muzzleloader, a 7mm Remington Mag, a 378 Weatherby, and an AR-15, and I usually rotate them between hunts just for the fun of it. I try to hit behind the front shoulder whenever possible, and the deer don't seem to notice which rifle I am shooting on that particular day. They all get to come home with me. I still think 500 yards is a long way to shoot at a deer with a rifle because I am usually using something less steady than a shooting bench for a rest, and because I am OLD. I have to admit that you 1,000-yard shooters/hunters fascinate me. You guys have me dreaming about a long-range rifle build, and I even have a place I could use that type of setup. I have always loaded my own, so that would be no problem, but some of your weights and measurements are a little complicated for me. It would be trial and error for me. I like trial and error.

I could kill deer every year for as long as I live with a .22 short if I had to, but what would be the fun of that? I have a .54 cal. black powder muzzleloader, a 7mm Remington Mag, a 378 Weatherby, and an AR-15, and I usually rotate them between hunts just for the fun of it. I try to hit behind the front shoulder whenever possible, and the deer don't seem to notice which rifle I am shooting on that particular day. They all get to come home with me. I still think 500 yards is a long way to shoot at a deer with a rifle because I am usually using something less steady than a shooting bench for a rest, and because I am OLD. I have to admit that you 1,000-yard shooters/hunters fascinate me. You guys have me dreaming about a long-range rifle build, and I even have a place I could use that type of setup. I have always loaded my own, so that would be no problem, but some of your weights and measurements are a little complicated for me. It would be trial and error for me. I like trial and error.
Let's bump up the short to a long rifle. Other than that, I'm with ya'!

270 isn't for me. I prefer 30 cals and up for the extra wide hole. Bigger hole=faster death. 30-06 is pretty much perfect for most hunting, and is available everywhere. The 270 for hand loading is pretty boring too, since there's not a single quality long bullet to have high BC. And, even if there was, the 270's you buy off the shelf have too slow of a Twist rate.

I prefer the 30 wsm, or even 30 nosler, but they're not near as common and has a shorter barrel life, so I won't say much more on those.

270 is great for 400 yards, but this forum is "Long range" so it's the wrong community for the 270 love. It's a good round, but I'd never call it the best at anything. Like a pair of pliers, It'll get anything done but it's not perfect at anything.

Maybe you'd be happier over at "Long Range Only"?

Rifleman97: It is my opinion that 38 thousandths of an inch are not going to make all that much difference in the wound channel. A bullet choice will make up for more than that small diameter difference. The shortcomings you have documented of the .270 are all valid, in my humble opinion, as are your reasons for using a .30 caliber weapon. I have yet to try to shoot ANYTHING at much over 500 yards, yet, but the thought of long-range shooting is becoming more and more interesting the more I read on this forum. If I do build a new rifle, it will most likely be a .30 caliber. As fashionable as it has recently become, it will not be any of the 6.5mm calibers. I like exotic things. That leaves out the more than capable .30-06. That is all I have to offer at this time.

I have seen and read a lot of threads about what is the best caliber or round. I find the best one is the one that I am looking through the cross hairs on at that time. If I could decide on one then I would not need a gun safe full. I feel choosing one cartridge is like getting married and I have already done that. I am still single in my shooting, and still enjoy variety.

I would like to love the 270 but I got burned on a high $ Kimber in 270 that I could never get to shoot better than 1.5-2 MOA. Kind of turned me on Kimber and 270's.

Put me down for 7mm RM load it up to way more than a 270 or down to less if you desire. Great bullet selection and I have never had a 7 RM that didn't shoot sub MOA with some much better.
Just one old fart's 2 cents.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.