264 win mag help

I would appreciate any input. Rl 22 is just what I started with when I used partitions with excellent results. I'm open to any powder really. Thanks

N570 would give top velocity but is difficult to find on the shelf. RL26 should work well also and is usually stocked. H1000 should give decent velocity and is temp stable as is Retumbo. Welcome to the show!.....rich

I have used H4831 (yuck!), H1000, RE22, RE25, RE33 & RETUMBO. Really would like to try US869(?) Not sure if those numbers are correct.
Anyway, of all those powders, my original short throated 264 shone with RE25 & H1000.
My newer 28" & 30" barrels really get going with RE33 & RETUMBO. I can burn a full 3gr more powder with this throat configuration. Velocity is at where Winchester first published their ballistics in 1958.
I like the 140gr Accubond too for hunting, in comp I run the 140gr Berger VLD.
Seating depth is critical if you have a normal length throat.

Cheers.
:)

I'm not shooting max load as I would prefer to keep my velocity under 3000 to preserve these older guns. This is strictly a hunting round however I want same hole accuracy if I can achieve it. I know it can but done but I don't want to ruin a barrel or chamber. Thanks

That is very a acceptable and reasonable goal. There should be a good safety factor built in at that level. 3,000 fps is a piece of cake, even with a 24" barrel. I would spend my time working with some of the temperature stabile powders that have been mentioned. It should allow you to have more consistent velocity across a wider temperature variations. That should also help to minimize SD.
I'm not shooting max load as I would prefer to keep my velocity under 3000 to preserve these older guns. This is strictly a hunting round however I want same hole accuracy if I can achieve it. I know it can but done but I don't want to ruin a barrel or chamber. Thanks

morning, I do not own a .264, but if I did not have a 6.5Rem. Mag.
I would! now as Rich said there r powders much better than
RL22. Ramshot Mag. 4831SC, MRP. that is just a few.
GBOT TUM

My hunting buddy has a Rem. 700 stainless in 264 Win mag that is basically doing what you want to do. Keeping the velocity down to preserve the barrel and also shoot tight groups as well as shoot deer inside 400 yards. He uses the suggested accuracy load out of the Sierra manual with 140 gr Sierra Pro Hunters. It works. I think the powder is H-4831, I don't have my manual close by. On the other hand I have a custom rifle on a Rem. 700 action with a 27 3/4" 9" twist Shilen barrel. I went with the 130 Accubond 20 thousands off the lands pushed by Retumbo in WW cases made out of 7mm Rem Mag cases and CCI 250 primers. I average 3350 fps with sub MOA accuracy. I have killed a couple dozen plus deer with this combo from 25 to a touch over 500 yards and all have been DRT. I really like the Accubond bullet.

Thanks for all the suggestions and advice I really appreciate it. Hopefully can get some loads worked up this week and see what works

If those nine twist barrels won't give you the accuracy you are looking for don't look past the 130 Berger AR Hybrid. I've been using in one of my 6.5/06 at 3,170fps with Norma 217 and in my 6.5 Grendel AR-15 at 2,400fps. I took two does this fall with that bullet from the Grendel at 55 yards and the other at 175 yards. Both DRT with a golf ball size exit hole.
Load developement was literally just seat the bullet 0.05" shorter than magazine length and do a ladder test to find maximum safe pressure. All charges shot better than 3/4 MOA and SD was never higher than 15 fps in the 6.5/06 with any load I tested.
I'm Planning to test the 130 berger AR hybrid in one of my 26" barreled nine twist 264 win. when the weather gets better this spring. I expect it will certainly do 3,300 fps safely from that rig and magazine feed.
Here is a link to an article detailing the use of that bullet in hunting applications...
http://panhandleprecision.com/berger-130-ar-hybrid-load-data-performance-evaluation/

I'm Planning to test the 130 berger AR hybrid in one of my 26" barreled nine twist 264 win. when the weather gets better this spring. I expect it will certainly do 3,300 fps safely from that rig and magazine feed.
Here is a link to an article detailing the use of that bullet in hunting applications...
http://panhandleprecision.com/berger-130-ar-hybrid-load-data-performance-evaluation/

Be interested in how the R-26 works behind those bullets...keep us postep on how it works out.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts