260 to 6.5-284 - is it worth it???

Spardorg

Hi, I have a tikka in a 260 remington and I was considering getting it reamed out to 6.5-284. I can easily modify the bolt stop to take a longer round and have a long action magazine there to use, so the only catch would be paying a Smith to put a reamer through it and buying brass. I was just wondering what people's opinions on this would be. It will mainly be used for targets and the occasional hunt but nothing that a 260 couldn't handle. This is a consideration purely to the long range ballistics. Thanks!

No in my opinion, what would you really grain vs. what you would loose.... 100-200 fps...shorter barrel life...cases that can be somewhat hard to find or form if your using the .284 case as the base, if you could even find a box...lots of bench time making the cases especially if your using a slightly different neck diameter... you could go on and on either way but I would based on what I had to gain..

If I were you I would just Ackley Improve the .260. Virtually identical performance as that of the 6.5-284 in a much more efficient case. Less brass work once the initial fire form is done and the same great barrel life as that of the .260. I have Two .260 Ackley Improved and they are both running right around the 2950 mark with a 140 Berger. One wears a 26" Criterion barrel using 43.5gr of H4350 for a Velocity of 2950 fps and the other wears a 26" McGowan barrel using 42.0gr of H4350 for a velocity of 2920 fps. Both produce Half MOA or better accuracy and during load development seen speeds up and over 3000 fps. The .260 Ackley will do anything the 6.5-284 will and do it much more efficiently. No need to modify the bolt stop or buy expensive brass or even a barrel for that matter.

I suggest 260AI also.
But I don't agree that it will provide same barrel life as a std 260, nor matching velocity of a 6.5x284.
I like the 260AI because it seems the perfect capacity for 140gr bullets, you have Lapua brass for it now, it's easy to fire-form, and there are dies for it.
With cooler powder and rational load pressure you 'might not' lose barrel life over a 260, which is a lot better than the 6.5x284. 2950-3050fps seems the magic MV for 140gr bullets and as mentioned you'll go there in 260AI.

A 6.5x284 can go beyond this, but at a price of accuracy and of course barrel life, as many have found. This has nothing to do with efficiency, it's just that the 6.5x284 is not the best capacity for 140gr bullets. It would be even worse, way worse, with 130gr bullets.
The tables would turn in 150-160gr bullets(if there were any, any good ones).

IMO, the 260 itself is a terrible cartridge, always was. Bad reloading, and under-capacity for best in 26cal bullets. It's only recent that good brass became available for it.
It's a good move to leave it.
260AI, Lapua brass = complete departure

If you are going to bother to change things for only a minimal gain, have you considered the 6.5 SS? You would have to open the bolt face and change the mag follower, but you would have considerably more gain than the previously mentioned. Also, the cartridge will shoot the 140's without having to single feed. Just a thought.......Rich

Rich makes a very valid point.

.260 AI is a nice small gain, but 6.5 SS would be like stepping up to magnum performance in a true SA caliber.

I'd leave it be. I didn't see a lot of disappointment in the .260, or passion for another choice.

I would start planning a from the ground up of something that would interest and excite you.

Thanks heaps guys. I was told the 6.5-284 has far better performance than the 260 ai which was my origional idea. I will probably leave it for a whole and maybe ream it to 260 ai down the track. Will get my scope this week so hope to give it a good work out and get into some long range shooting.

Performance is a subjective measure.

The 260 performs. The rest is based on who is holding the yard stick.

IMO, if it shoots, leave it. When it stops choose what to do next.

I had a 6.5x55 and a 6.5-284 NORMA and shot them side by side out to 600 yards. VERY little difference between the two in trajectory or wind drift and I had to push the 6.5-284 hard to even get that. It is now in the process of being re-chambered to .264 WM.

The .260 Remington is widely considered to be the rough equivalent of the 6.5x55.

I have seen folks state that the 6.5-284 gives near .264 WM performance. I have found that to be false. The 6.5-284 is not a bad cartridge. I just think it is overrated. Loaded to modern pressures and fired from a modern rifle, my 6.5x55 gives nearly identical performance and Lapua brass costs much less than Lapua 6.5-284 brass.

I personally don't think the gain is worth it. I agree with the idea of shooting your .260 until it's time for a new barrel, then go with the faster 6.5 of your choice.

Agree with the above two posts in leaving it for now. Later when you want to jump up to something with more performance, make your decision based on what YOU want......Rich

I own both and while there is little practical difference at the mid ranges, the 6.5x284 shows improved terminal ballistics on game out to 1000 yards with solid accuracy past 1300 yards. The 260 falls off in both respects at around 700 yards. I personally have not been able to get much past 2800FPS with the 260. No problem pushing 3025 with the 6.5x284. I use 140 VLD's. For hunting puirposes I have not found barrel life to be any different than a 7mm Mag or the 300's. IMO.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.