280 Rem to 280 AI... is it worth it?

When this thread started I was wondering how many of you guys had converted a 280 Rem. to 280 AI. Did any problems arise when you did it?

So far, no problems... as to my question was it worth it, that was due to the fact that with my 22" barrel would I see enough velocity increase to warrant the cost of conversion. Lots of good points have been brought up and comments about the cartridge.

I think I am going to do the conversion, the one fact that really hit me is that there are more quality 280 AI factory loads that 280 Rem factory loads. Also, the AI version is available at more stores than the standard 280.

Thank you all for your input and advice. I'll let you all know how it goes!

Sincerely,

DD62
Good decision.
Of all the "Ackley Improveds" 280AI is the most successful/accepted.
It's the only one that has been standardized by SAAMI.

Don't get all Axle-Wrapped concerning the "old chamber" and the SAAMI chamber.
That conversation will go around and around until every hound dog in the county is howling and chasing his tail.

At the FRONT END of the project, tell your 'smith that you want to be able to chamber and safely shoot 280 Ackley Improved FACTORY AMMO.
You can handload too, but you want to be able to grab some Federal or Nosler off the shelf and shoot it if the need arises.
If he squabbles and blabbers that he doesn't have the reamer that's been out since 2007, MOVE ON.
(don't get talked into buying him a reamer that he should already have)
Tell him you want to be able to chamber and safely shoot factory ammo PERIOD !

270's are good too.
They are good for donor rifles for building 280 Ackleys !

:D

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts