Is cryogenics worth it

First Im new to this game the rifle game anyways I want to know if it worth the money to have my barrel done please any constructive feed back I would appreciate I have a new weatherby 30-378

thanks steve

Worldrecordbuck, Cryo is a very difficult topic. Some swear by and some swear at it. I hava a Custom Rem 700SA Titanium that wouldn't shoot in 284 Win. Finally had the action & barrel cryoed. Improved accuracy and as the rifle warmed up groups didn't open up as before. I'm happy with cryo, but other people thinks that it is a waste of $$.

I had one barreled action cryoed. Accuracy was unchanged. I wouldn't bother with it again.

I think cryo treatment is even more controversial than moly coating. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

VH

worldrecordbuck,
I dont want to say anything bad about cryo,but if you are looking for better accuracy out of a stock weatherby 30-378 take the money you would have spent on cryo and spend it on a few different powders and bullet's and do some load developement,have your action glass bedded and trued. I am not saying cryo does not work to some extent, but if you are looking for a panacea in a freezer you are looking in the wrong direction.
B

all the major rifle makers use hammer forged barrels.they don't even cut the chamber or threads any more.this creates tremendous amounts of stress.the production rifles stand a much greater chance that a cryogenic treatment will improve their accuracy.most of the people i know are convinced it helped their guns.i also agree with the above statement that it is very controversial.

To make an informed decision you must know what cryo treatment will and won't due.

If done prior to drilling, reaming, and rifling it will make the metal easer to machine and in most cases will give a better finish.

It will help with pattern spread due to heat from rapid fire shooting.

I have found that the barrel life and throat life are longer as well.

It will not change the harmonics of your barrel or the bore dia.

The process only works if done properly for the type of metal being used.
I can only go into generalities here but for 416R steel the barrel is frozen to -100 in a freezer over 3 hours then liquid nitrogen is added to the freezer (it is not allowed to touch the metal at any time) to bring the temp. down 10 deg. at a time, and held for a certain period of time, this is done until it reaches -300 deg. it is held at that temp. for approximately 7 hours then brought back up at the same rate as it went down until it reaches room temp. then it is tested for hardness ( it can be very brittle after the cryo treatment ) and then heated in an oven for tempering at 300 deg. for three hours, allowed to cool to room temp. and then re-tempered two more times to reach the desired hardness.
This is a long process but very well worth the effort and expense for what it will do.
This process works wonders for prolonging the life of end mills, saw blades, and barrel and chamber reamers.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.