McMillan A5 Adjustable, is it worth it?

tnshooter111

I'm getting ready to order a McMillan A5 stock and can't decide whether to get the A5 adjustable or the straight A5. My concern is whether the added cost and weight from the adjustable cheek piece is necessary. I've noticed in pictures on this forum that most adjustable cheek piece are only raised a small amount. The rifle will be a 338 Lapua on a Stiller TAC 338 action with a 29in brux barrel (fluted sendero contour). Center shot Rifles will be building this rifle so I will probably be using a Muscle break. This rifle will be shot mostly for a bipod but I would like to be able to shoot it from the shoulder if necessary.

You can buy McMillan stocks, ready to ship at Long Range Hunting.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would like to know what some of the replies are as well. I have been considering a Macmillan stock for my 7mm.

I say it's worth it. I have an A3 with the adjustable stock and I am really glad I got it because i wouldnt be able to get a good cheek weld without it. Look at it this way, if you get it and dont need it, oh well. If you dont get it you might need it and then you're stuck trying to find something to fix it.

For me it was worth it. My cheek weld is different between an upright and a prone position. I don't actually change the height adjustment when hunting but I do find a comb height that is a good compromise. A quarter of and inch may not sound like much but it does make a difference. The standard height of most stocks, including the base A5 is too low for my prone shooting. if your physical make up allows you to go with the basic stock, your lucky. The only non adjustable stock I own that fits me in both positions, out of the box, is the non adjustable, Bell and Carlson A5 style. I have had to make a comb height mod on the rest my LR rigs that are used in a prone position. I think most stocks are too low for good prone shooting, at least for me. The McMillan A5 is expensive, but a very good stock. Unless you know for sure that the non adjustable version fits, I'd go for the adjustable, you won't notice the weight difference, and you won't regret it.

If you can find someone who has the same stock as you're considering and you can check if it gives a comfortable cheek weld with a scope a reasonable height then you could choose not to get an adjustable cheek piece. The variable is your face, the distance from where you're cheek lies on the stock and the centerline of your dominant eye. An adjustable stock may may improve the rifles resale value if that's of any concern.

Another thing to consider when ordering a McMillan custom stock is that they can adjust the weight over a considerable range. I have two A3 stocks which differ by more than two pounds. though they're the same size and fit. You can also get adjustable buttpads,, sling attachment and bipod mounts.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.