280 Rem to 280 AI... is it worth it?

Thinking about converting my Mauser Mark X in 280 Rem. to 280 AI. How many of you guys have done that? Is the conversion worth it? Looking for the pros and cons... Thanks! DesertDweller62
I'd probably start by verifying the twist on your barrel and deciding what range you want to shoot out to, and what weight range bullets you want to shoot.

I have not had the standard one but my only custom build is a ,280ai.
The case looks cool.
The cartridge gets a great wrap and it's nice to shoot.

I don't know if there is a real world gain for hunting yet but I stick by my choice.

Is it worth it well only you can decide. Weigh it up against a new barrel. He'll just go to a new barrel and keep the old one use the rechamber money toward a good barrel. You know you want one and we are not going to tell you it's a bad thing.

What Plinket147 says is logical and honest, note he does not try talk you out of it though. Because it's COOL and Improved.

Join the cool club.

As for the comments about taking it out to dinner and liking curves. Well just think of this a a tall slender chick they too have some appeal. Unlike women you can have more than one rifle to play with without to much drama.

Well I have had standard 280 rem and I now have a 280AI and no animal has been able to tell the difference. So in hunting rifle terms there isn't a meaningful gain, how the rifle is designed will have more influence than if its an AI or not.

As listed above there are small advantages to the 280AI. Brass is more available in 280AI than the standard now a days.

I've always liked the COOL points of having an AI and that's the real reason I have one today over the standard.

I've been thinking of rebarreling a 270win to 280ai for heavier bullets and more thump on elk at short to medium range. Sportsman's warehouse in Ogden Utt had lots of premium 280ai ammo

I now have both, 280 and 280 AI. The 280 is a stock Win 70 FWT, and it just loves 140 gr. pills. 22" bbl ( I did have the crown re-cut) and it is fast handling, good in brush. I had the AI built with an 8.5 twist 5R 25" to shoot heavier bullets and monos. Working on a load now with Hammers. I wanted a little more punch too. If you want it, get it. The standard worked fine and was very accurate for a factory rifle - luck. It's a nice backup to have, but if I could only have one, it would be the AI. As another poster said, for hunting most game, I doubt the animal would know the difference.

Thanks for all the input guys! DD62
Why don't you let us know what you feel is lacking so we can give more than generic answers. What is missing in the 280 that you think the Ackley will solve?

At this point people are throwing darts in the dark so more info is needed unless you like the guessing game that people are playing.

When this thread started I was wondering how many of you guys had converted a 280 Rem. to 280 AI. Did any problems arise when you did it?

So far, no problems... as to my question was it worth it, that was due to the fact that with my 22" barrel would I see enough velocity increase to warrant the cost of conversion. Lots of good points have been brought up and comments about the cartridge.

I think I am going to do the conversion, the one fact that really hit me is that there are more quality 280 AI factory loads that 280 Rem factory loads. Also, the AI version is available at more stores than the standard 280.

Thank you all for your input and advice. I'll let you all know how it goes!

Sincerely,

DD62

One thing to remember when doing the conversion is to make sure your smith uses a reamer that is saami spec. if you want to shoot factory ammo. some of the older reamers don't work well with factory ammo and you need to fire form your brass. I think redding offers two different part numbers ,different shoulder angle-degrees,

I've been thinking of rebarreling a 270win to 280ai for heavier bullets and more thump on elk at short to medium range. Sportsman's warehouse in Ogden Utt had lots of premium 280ai ammo
Something for you to think about >>> https://forum.nosler.com/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=37256. An outstanding LRH member shared this to a .270 AI owner (me) and another outstanding member, and a longtime owner of .280 AI. Below is his comment ...

Wow. From a .270WIN!
Pretty sure I would rather build him a .270AI though. Same speeds at less pressure. I know my .280AI is about 1.5gr off max, I had 3040 before I hit pressure, and that was with a barrel with only 50ish rounds down it.

I am not looking for a debate on .270 AI vs. .280 AI, just simply sharing what was nicely shared with me. Good luck!

Ed

Something for you to think about >>> https://forum.nosler.com/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=37256. An outstanding LRH member shared this to a .270 AI owner (me) and another outstanding member, and a longtime owner of .280 AI. Below is his comment ...

Wow. From a .270WIN!
Pretty sure I would rather build him a .270AI though. Same speeds at less pressure. I know my .280AI is about 1.5gr off max, I had 3040 before I hit pressure, and that was with a barrel with only 50ish rounds down it.

I am not looking for a debate on .270 AI vs. .280 AI, just simply sharing what was nicely shared with me. Good luck!

Ed

Wow. From a .270WIN!

Ed
Thanks for the info. Ed. That sounds pretty impressive. I will check it out. Bob

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.