280 Remington - Is it a bad choice?

Looking to build/buy a 7mm rifle and leaning towards the 280 Remington. I had a 7mm-08, which is a great caliber, but sold the rifle to a young man looking for his first deer rifle. I'm partial to the long actions.

I keep bouncing between the 280 Remington and the 280 AI. I know the latter is faster, more suitable for heavier bullets but factory ammo is more expensive. I've shot magnum calibers for years, with a preference for the 340 Wby but my shoulder and I have moved past that.

My goals are modest. Looking at a 6-700 yard rifle for mule deer and elk at closer ranges. I would like to shoot bullets in the 160gr+ range. Most factory 280 Rem ammo is in the 140-150gr range but there are some in the 160gr+ range.

I have a rifle in 6.5 CM but it is a target/hunting hybrid that is better suited as a long range target rifle.

Am I being ambitious sticking with the 280 Rem given my goals?
My father hunted with a Remington 700 bolt action in 280 Rem. I saw him drop running antelope at about 100 yds and a huge record book Mule deer bedded with his does. Calibre and bullets always performed perfectly. I'd say if Ammo is available .280 Rem is a great hunting cartridge.

Looking to build/buy a 7mm rifle and leaning towards the 280 Remington. I had a 7mm-08, which is a great caliber, but sold the rifle to a young man looking for his first deer rifle. I'm partial to the long actions.

I keep bouncing between the 280 Remington and the 280 AI. I know the latter is faster, more suitable for heavier bullets but factory ammo is more expensive. I've shot magnum calibers for years, with a preference for the 340 Wby but my shoulder and I have moved past that.

My goals are modest. Looking at a 6-700 yard rifle for mule deer and elk at closer ranges. I would like to shoot bullets in the 160gr+ range. Most factory 280 Rem ammo is in the 140-150gr range but there are some in the 160gr+ range.

I have a rifle in 6.5 CM but it is a target/hunting hybrid that is better suited as a long range target rifle.

Am I being ambitious sticking with the 280 Rem given my goals?

Nope.
Excellent choice. Mine has killed many animals since 1960 by me, my brother, and my father.

Appreciate everyone weighing in on this. As someone said earlier, it is a win win either way.

Reloading may be necessary if I want to get the 280 Rem's full potential with the 160gr+ bullets I'm leaning towards, but very effective factory options in the 150gr range for what I want to do.

280AI will get me there with factory loads at a higher costs, but reloading makes the cost a wash.

Find or build the rifle I like and not sweat the caliber or buy one of each and call it done.

Appreciate everyone weighing in on this. As someone said earlier, it is a win win either way.

Reloading may be necessary if I want to get the 280 Rem's full potential with the 160gr+ bullets I'm leaning towards, but very effective factory options in the 150gr range for what I want to do.

280AI will get me there with factory loads at a higher costs, but reloading makes the cost a wash.

Find or build the rifle I like and not sweat the caliber or buy one of each and call it done.
Finishing that train of thought, the AI makes the most sense. Give yourself the extra horsepower of the AI, while still allowing you to shoot the cheaper 280 Rem if needed.

Last edited:
I am biased, I like the 270 win over the 280 rem. I think if we had done as much for the 277" diameter slugs as we did for the 284 diameter slugs the 270 win would have had an AI case and the slugs would be be up to 185 grains or 195 grains. but the 7MM won out. like I said I am a 270 guy. I have done everything the 7MM guys have done with my 270. enough said. if you like the 7MM/284's then go for it. the best 280 rem is the 280 AI.

A weatherby UL in 280rem has been my main hunting rifle for more than 15 yrs.
It may be frustrating for someone who doesn't hand load to find ammo. I hand load and have always loved the rifle and cartridge.
That being said, I plan to have it rebarreled for accuracy and will go 280AI when I do. The only penalty I can see is recoil and that shouldn't be bad.
When my boys are at the right age, they will each receive a 7mm-08.

A weatherby UL in 280rem has been my main hunting rifle for more than 15 yrs.

I'm a Weatherby UL fan as well. Have one in 240 Wby and have had a couple is 338-06. Great hunting rifles but can be a pain working up a load. That pencil contour barrel can get hot quick.

Actually it is a Wby UL in 280 Rem that I'm interested in. CA Traverse or Carbon Classic in 280AI is what is calling me on the AI side.

have a win 70 in 280, about 30 yrs old, used it for elk with 175 gr hornady interloks and 175 nosler partition. muzzle velocity 2750. it was a hot load. used an obsolete hodgdon ball powder, which i cannot recall # now. was effective on elk out to 400-500 yds. if i had it to do over again and wanted a long distance round, i would get a 7mm magnum.

There is nothing wrong with the 280 rem. It's my favorite 06 based cartridge. It's what the 270 should have been.[/QUOT280 Remington is good choice for the big stuff use good bullet.,it now my youngest son rifle.found it performed the same as my 280 ack and 7mm Remington on game from coyotes to large deer at ranges from20 yrds to measure 400 yards and factory ammo is cheaper.

I've been shooting a 280 Rem for 35 + years, it is a fantastic round. I handload 140gr NAB at 2,950fps and have never recovered one yet and it has always done what was asked without kicking you out from under your hat. A study of performance considering recoil, pressures, etc. compared to other chamberings is quite impressive. For your stated purpose it is a wise choice.

I'll have to admit though that I'm wanting it in AI, Don't know why other than added velocity and case life due to shoulder angle. For longer range, bigger critters, the argument can be made to go bigger and faster as is always the case and there are bigger 300wm, 338wm, etc.

Long winded to just say, get either and you will not be disappointed.

I've been shooting a 280 Rem for 35 + years, it is a fantastic round. I handload 140gr NAB at 2,950fps and have never recovered one yet and it has always done what was asked without kicking you out from under your hat. A study of performance considering recoil, pressures, etc. compared to other chamberings is quite impressive. For your stated purpose it is a wise choice.

I'll have to admit though that I'm wanting it in AI, Don't know why other than added velocity and case life due to shoulder angle. For longer range, bigger critters, the argument can be made to go bigger and faster as is always the case and there are bigger 300wm, 338wm, etc.

Long winded to just say, get either and you will not be disappointed.

My experience is the same. I love my 280rem. 280AI should be better.