280 Ackley Improved bullet choice

freebird63

Ok bare with me here, I have a custom built 280AI on a remington 700 action with a 26 inch barrel, jewell trigger, boyd thumbhole stock, barrel is full floated/bedded. When I first got the gun I was going to shoot 140gr accubonds, they shot good, but didn't shoot many of them. Then I got the idea to shoot 162gr A-Max bullets and was getting just shy of 3000fps. But many had said the A-max bullets were not the best choice for hunting. So I bought some 160gr accubonds, have not shot them yet but am wondering out loud if maybe I should just stick with the 140gr accubonds.
I would like to shoot at longer ranges but have yet to do so.
Also if anyone is curious about the scope its a sightron 3, 6-24X50-mildot.
Thanks for any info or opinions.

You didn't say what you're hunting and at what distances.

Unless you just need point-blank shooting with no compensation, I'd stay away from the light bullets and go with 160 or above.

There's probably insignificant benefit to the 180's vs 168's due to the reduced velocity of the heavy bullets in your cartridge.

So, the 160'ish range should be about right.

Many here like the 168 Bergers because they tend to expand better at long range impact velocities than other bullets. But, there's also a strong following for the 160 AB.

My opinion is that Berger will do better at longer ranges with soft tissue and AB will have an edge if you hit bone. Ultimiately, you have to hit your target with confidence. So, pick one and see how your rifle likes it.

-- richard

I would like to try the 168gr bergers, but being unemployed I have to choose what I spend my limited money on, unless I win the mega million jackpot this week.
I am only hunting mule deer and if I ever get lucky and draw an antelope tag. So far every deer I have ever killed has been no farther then 200 yards. But would love to be able to open that up to 600 yards if I ever needed to.

I would like to try the 168gr bergers, but being unemployed I have to choose what I spend my limited money on, unless I win the mega million jackpot this week.
I am only hunting mule deer and if I ever get lucky and draw an antelope tag. So far every deer I have ever killed has been no farther then 200 yards. But would love to be able to open that up to 600 yards if I ever needed to.

At 200yds on Mule Deer, you can pretty much use anything other than FMJ.

That may be an exaggeration. But, you have a lot of good options.

-- richard

You might look at the Swift Sirocco in 150 gr. I think their BC is on par with the heavier 160 gr. bullets, you can run them about 75-100 ft faster and they can be used on animals the size of elk.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.