280 Remington - Is it a bad choice?

Back in the late 70's, I used a .280 and 139 Hornady for my "first" LR kill...276 long steps down a pipeline, East, Texas. Took me 20yrs to get that, up until then, my longest was 90 steps...with a 30-30! I later got a 7MM Mag, but was never able to get good accuracy with the 160 NP past 2950! So figure, with todays newer factory ammo and powder, the 280AI is pretty impressive. If you are like me, hunt the way I do, a regular 280 would work just fine. I have had many 7mms, now I am wringing out a 24" .270. Good luck to you Pard!

Thanks Rev. I'm confident shooting steel at extended ranges and have done so out to 1232 yards on a number of occasions, but my longest hunting shot was 462 yards on an pronghorn.

Up to that point, I always limited my shots to inside of MPBR of the cartridge I was shooting but 90% of the time, I could hit them with a rock when hunting out of tree stands in Jacksonville, NC or the shots were inside of 150 yards hunting along power line cuts.

My scopes had duplex or 4A reticles, so any holdover was done using the animal's back as a reference if that was even necessary.

This rifle will be a purpose built long range rifle out to 700 yards. I'll mount a March 3-24x scope on it that I have on my 6.5CM. Just need to get in the necessary trigger time to translate my confidence hitting steel to taking a mulie at that distance.

One other thing to consider, especially if buying a factory rifle and also wanting to shoot 160+ grain heavies, is barrel twist. Most standard 280s are going to come with a 10 twist, while 280ai is twisted faster from what I've typically seen. 160-168 is kind of right on the edge of working in either twist, but if you ever get the itch to try any of the super sleek options above 170 grains, a 9 twist is probably the way to go.

Good point. The current production rifles like the Winchester Model 70 Super Grade are 1:10" twists. The Remington 700 Mountain rifle is running 1:9.25" but my preference is the 1:9" for the reasons you noted. There aren't a lot of factory 280 Rem builds that are catching my eye since I prefer the 1:9" twist and 24" barrel.

Ran across a Magnum Research Mountain Eagle that is built off of a Sako action in 280 Rem that is a 1:9" twist. It has a straight comb stock, which isn't my favorite. I believe these are the ones they sold in the late 90s. It has a steel barrel and not the carbon wrapped version they are currently selling.

The Weatherby UL in 280 Rem is another option. I like the weight of the UL but I have to be patient with it's light contour barrel shooting from the bench. It is a 1:10 twist, which isn't ideal.

CA Traverse in 280 AI is catching my eye more and more. I like the side baffle brake compared to the radial on their discontinued Carbon Classic, plus the Traverse comes with a bottom picatinny rail.

Last option is the one I'm leaning most toward is a custom build on an Origin action. I've used Mark Chanlynn for two builds and is working on a 338-06 rifle for me now. For a price slightly more than a Traverse, I can have him build me one.

Black Friday is coming up. We'll see what kind of deals come out and whether it pushes me one way or another.

There is nothing wrong with the 280 Rem, used it for years and it never disappointed. The 162gr SST is a great bullet that you can use on it for mule deer and elk at the distances you mentioned.

If you wanted to shoot further then the 280AI or the 7mm Rem Mag would be better, but in this case, you dont need more.

I am biased, I like the 270 win over the 280 rem. I think if we had done as much for the 277" diameter slugs as we did for the 284 diameter slugs the 270 win would have had an AI case and the slugs would be be up to 185 grains or 195 grains. but the 7MM won out. like I said I am a 270 guy. I have done everything the 7MM guys have done with my 270. enough said. if you like the 7MM/284's then go for it. the best 280 rem is the 280 AI.

I'd say with all the available brake choices I'd just step on up to the 7mag and wring everything out of it!

Opted to go this route. Cooper Model 52 Backcountry in 280 Rem. It came with a Leupold 2.5-10x45 LPS scope, which will come off and repurposed or likely sold.

Cooper Model 52 Backcountry 280 Rem.jpg

You are dead on The 280/7MM Express and 284 Win in short action are both better choices with wider bullet selection!
I have a 280 rem tika with 22 inch barrel. Lots of dead pigs with hornaday lite magnum. Most recently 120 gr Barnes 120 ttsx. Very effective hogs ,elk and deer with both loads

Also have a Ruger 77 280ai 26 inch barrel. I use 120 ttsx in this gun also. Over 3400 FPS. Also very effective on game too

But as a hunter both guns kill equally well.

My 270 is equally effective with Barnes 127 lrx. And you can buy 270 Ammo anywhere

Pick your poison. They all kill!!!!

Both are great cartridges. If I was building a rifle, I would go with the .280 Ackley. There's no disadvantage to it over the standard .280 Remington. Ammo is a little more expensive, and not as common. But the regular old .280 isn't very common and doesn't have many ammo options to begin with. You can always reload for the .280 Ackley and it will be nearly the same price to handload for it compared to the .280 Remington but it will be more powerful and offer better ballistics. If you're buying a factory rifle, then I would be open to both and be more worried about what rifle you find in either cartridge and what rifle suits you better. Both are fine cartridges.
My dear dad shoots a much older Remington 700 bolt in .280 Rem. He always brought home his moose or big buck mule deer. Never a problem even on fast running antelope in Saskatchewan. 😎

I handload Nosler 160 gr Partitions to 2950 fps in my 280 AI. Excellent accuracy and have never recovered a bullet. Factory 280 Rem ammo that I shot prior to reaming the barrel chamber struggled to reach 2775 fps. Check the Hornady Superperformance figures for both. I've found the reported velocities of this factory ammo to be pretty accurate. Any premium 160 gr bullet at 2800-2900 fps will do the job!
Also, remember that you can shoot either 280 Rem or 280AI Ammo through a 280AI. This is a big plus in these days of hard-to-find factory ammo!!!