25PRC or something else?

Built a 6.5ss. Had terrible results. Rich offered suggestions. Axisworks was a total dud. Don't expect anybody to back you if you go the wildcat route. After a second barrel, I'll never chamber another SS round and I'll never have Axisworks chamber another barrel of mine. I would stay the PRC route for sure. Especially with a Wheeler AW2 chamber.
I am sorry to hear about your unfavorable experience; I appreciate your candor and honesty.

Could be wrong here but just want to track this thru.......the 25 PRC is a necked down 7 PRC correct? If so, it's pretty much a 257 Wby right.........?

Back in the days I used a 257 Wby, I just used 7 RM virgin brass, necked it down and got to it.

Could be wrong here but just want to track this thru.......the 25 PRC is a necked down 7 PRC correct? If so, it's pretty much a 257 Wby right.........?

Back in the days I used a 257 Wby, I just used 7 RM virgin brass, necked it down and got to it.
the referred to 25 prc is a necked down 6.5 PRC normally.

Thx Elk

Be fun to give the 128 Hammer in it, that should rock a critter or three...:)

I have a place that I hunt bears in that has a worlds supply of chucks, this would be taylor made for that eh

I'd opt for the 25 PRCW.

Alex doesn't build junk!

And he stands behind what he puts out there.

While it may not be the fastest 25 caliber out there, the 6.53 Lazzeroni Scramjet has that distinction, it will be well balanced.

Alex has already built a few 25PRC and they've been great accuracy wise. I'd run long freebore and put it on a medium action or one the new bat shorts than can use the 3.150 unknown dbm. I have done 25 Saum, 25sst and currently getting a 25prc done. The Saum/sst were on the same config proof 7.5tw 26" barrels, the Saum outpaced the sst by about 50-70fps using the same powders. The Saum was throated with 190k freebore on a medium Tikka. The sst would never run above 3140 without pressure using H1000, the saum would top 3200 no issues. I'll never again cut chambers that have single source boutique brass or require extensive labor forming. If I cannot just neck down and go, and there aren't at least 2 sources of quality brass, I suggest stearing clear of a cartridge. My newest 25prc is a 23" 7.5tw #5 brux and will wear an untra7 can, all I desire is 3100fps with newer 133-135 bullets. I am providing my personal experiences with 25 cal wildcats, I will not debate certain salesman on this site about how their cases with less capacity will outperform larger cases. "Efficiency" is just running higher chamber pressures, nothing else.

Really helpful. Thanks!

I'd opt for the 25 PRCW.

Alex doesn't build junk!

And he stands behind what he puts out there.

While it may not be the fastest 25 caliber out there, the 6.53 Lazzeroni Scramjet has that distinction, it will be well balanced.

Yes, some of it is staying with a balanced cartridge versus a massively overbored one.

Regarding rebarreling my 257 Weatherby, if do that I also need to ask myself if I am better off with non-Weatherby case/brass to begin with.

Regarding wildcatting Weatherby brass, that is something I want to avoid generally. Running something like a 6.5PRC through a sizing die is reasonable though.

Turning case necks and trimming on virgin or once-fired brass is something I would like to avoid.

If your gonna put all that work and research into a wildcat...... do a cool one. The good thing about overbore cartridges, they are a short term commitment. The barrel will be gone in 600-1000 rnds. I have always neen intrigued by the idea of 7-300prc. I did a 7mm-375 ruger but it was some forming work. Good results. A 190gr 7mm in a 300 norma is cool one. But if your not needing to kill a long way, then do a factory option. Juat my 2 cents.

You still can, along with .264 WM brass.