25PRC or something else?

Seems like things are all over the place at the moment with these 25 wildcats.

Is there a good table or list of starting cases, action lengths, and bolts needed, along with water capacity?

For myself, it seems like the PRC is the one to go with since the WSM and RSAUM are falling off in popularity. Weatherby brass by itself is over $2/case and in limited supply so, not a super popular option either. The PRC case itself seems to be the safest bet for future support.

What other case is a good one for a 257 Weatherby class cartridge? Personally, I would like to avoid the belted brass but, I am beginning to wonder if a new barrel with a different twist might be a better overall option in 257 Weatherby versus a wildcat in 25-something. More widely available brass though would be a nice benefit over a 257 Weatherby.
I do not think the WSM and RSAUM are falling off in popularity. I have two .300 WSMs and a 7MM SAUM. And if it did, the PRC might, too. But no one can tell what the future holds. The .257 WBY was produced in 1944, and its parent case, .375 H&H, was produced in 1912. Both have a longitudinal presence as they stood the test of time and are still being made today after 80 years; that's pretty darn good to me.

I was able to acquire enough brass for the life of my barrel. As of 5 minutes ago, the .257 WBY brass was available at Grafs. You can also use .264 WM and 7MM RM brass. I went with the .257 WBY as my first .25 cal and a tribute to the pioneer Roy Weatherby. My barrel is 1:7" and specifically built to propel the heavy bullets - 131 BJ, 133/135 Berger, 134 Hornady, and 145 Black Hole. And hopefully soon, Chinchiga's 160g.

Regarding the belted concern, I load for .257 WBY, .264 WM, 3 .300 WMs, .30 LARA, .338 WM, and the 7MM RM and 7MM STW when I still had them without any issues.

So, for me, the .257 WBY is the easy button. But we all have different preferences and intended purposes, so go with yours. Good luck!

Last edited:
I have a 257 Weatherby bolt action so, I'm wondering about a light wildcat that will do this level of performance without much effort and will allow me to tune it up a bit. Originally, 257 Weatherby was a good choice because I could get ~$40/box ammunition for general usage if I didn't have time to reload but, today reloading is basically my only option as I won't pay >$5/rd for a box or two of ammunition at retail in this caliber!

I was debating a RSAUM variant but, it looks like a 6.5PRC may be a better option for me. I should note, I am looking at a clean sheet start as I am not invested in dies or brass for this wildcat. The PRC seems to be the current market darling so, brass and market support seem to be best going in this direction.

I am looking for something that is a moderate weight for speed goats mainly but, I hope to do a Mountain Goat before old age makes that an unrealistic goal.
Or, am I not going to see enough difference to make it worth building? Meaning I need to milk the 257 Weatherby for all its worth and when the barrel is replaced, reconsider this topic. Sticking with my original rifle would help justify spending on a bulk brass buy to load up on a free weekend.

The other thought is a barrel twist to support newer bullet options that may be worth using at long range. The 257 Weatherby though probably hits a sweet spot for most modern bullets so, if I start working with something specialized, I'm assuming my factory Weatherby barrel would be good enough.

So, what is the general consensus on a rifle like this? Or, should I just wring the best performance out the Weatherby and call it good enough?

TIA,
Sid

p.s. I am looking at https://www.wheeleraccuracy.com/single-project if do a build!
I hunt with a 25-06 exclusive for Pronghorns. I think it is too small for Elk and I use the Sierra 117g Gameking. If you are looking for something new and shiny, I would suggest that you look at the 6.8 Western. This round works well on everything in North America.

@bmart2622 I pushed the 145 gr Blackhole bullets at 3200 fps in my 257 weatherby mag 26" barrel with a 1-7.5" twist. I've ran them as high as 3286 fps but I was blowing out primer pockets. I've shot sheep, goats, pigs, axis deer and wild cattle with the 145 BH bullets with excellent results and accuracy.

Not one ever failed me or wounded an animal that I didn't recover. Very similar to a 133 elite but it has way more stoutness almost like a bonded bullet. My guess is since it's so heavy it doesn't explode as easily.

Excellent bullet in my humble opinion!

Aloha!

@bmart2622 I pushed the 145 gr Blackhole bullets at 3200 fps in my 257 weatherby mag 26" barrel with a 1-7.5" twist. I've ran them as high as 3286 fps but I was blowing out primer pockets. I've shot sheep, goats, pigs, axis deer and wild cattle with the 145 BH bullets with excellent results and accuracy.

Not one ever failed me or wounded an animal that I didn't recover. Very similar to a 133 elite but it has way more stoutness almost like a bonded bullet. My guess is since it's so heavy it doesn't explode as easily.

Excellent bullet in my humble opinion!

Aloha!
What powder are you using?