25PRC or something else?

Sid Post

I have a 257 Weatherby bolt action so, I'm wondering about a light wildcat that will do this level of performance without much effort and will allow me to tune it up a bit. Originally, 257 Weatherby was a good choice because I could get ~$40/box ammunition for general usage if I didn't have time to reload but, today reloading is basically my only option as I won't pay >$5/rd for a box or two of ammunition at retail in this caliber!

I was debating a RSAUM variant but, it looks like a 6.5PRC may be a better option for me. I should note, I am looking at a clean sheet start as I am not invested in dies or brass for this wildcat. The PRC seems to be the current market darling so, brass and market support seem to be best going in this direction.

I am looking for something that is a moderate weight for speed goats mainly but, I hope to do a Mountain Goat before old age makes that an unrealistic goal.
Or, am I not going to see enough difference to make it worth building? Meaning I need to milk the 257 Weatherby for all its worth and when the barrel is replaced, reconsider this topic. Sticking with my original rifle would help justify spending on a bulk brass buy to load up on a free weekend.

The other thought is a barrel twist to support newer bullet options that may be worth using at long range. The 257 Weatherby though probably hits a sweet spot for most modern bullets so, if I start working with something specialized, I'm assuming my factory Weatherby barrel would be good enough.

So, what is the general consensus on a rifle like this? Or, should I just wring the best performance out the Weatherby and call it good enough?

TIA,
Sid

p.s. I am looking at https://www.wheeleraccuracy.com/single-project if do a build!

I have a 257 Weatherby bolt action so, I'm wondering about a light wildcat that will do this level of performance without much effort and will allow me to tune it up a bit. Originally, 257 Weatherby was a good choice because I could get ~$40/box ammunition for general usage if I didn't have time to reload but, today reloading is basically my only option as I won't pay >$5/rd for a box or two of ammunition at retail in this caliber!

I was debating a RSAUM variant but, it looks like a 6.5PRC may be a better option for me. I should note, I am looking at a clean sheet start as I am not invested in dies or brass for this wildcat. The PRC seems to be the current market darling so, brass and market support seem to be best going in this direction.

I am looking for something that is a moderate weight for speed goats mainly but, I hope to do a Mountain Goat before old age makes that an unrealistic goal.
Or, am I not going to see enough difference to make it worth building? Meaning I need to milk the 257 Weatherby for all its worth and when the barrel is replaced, reconsider this topic. Sticking with my original rifle would help justify spending on a bulk brass buy to load up on a free weekend.

The other thought is a barrel twist to support newer bullet options that may be worth using at long range. The 257 Weatherby though probably hits a sweet spot for most modern bullets so, if I start working with something specialized, I'm assuming my factory Weatherby barrel would be good enough.

So, what is the general consensus on a rifle like this? Or, should I just wring the best performance out the Weatherby and call it good enough?

TIA,
Sid

p.s. I am looking at https://www.wheeleraccuracy.com/single-project if do a build!
25SST is really hard to beat! 3200+ with a 22" barrel, head stamped ADG brass, reamers and dies in stock too. AND, it fits perfectly in a short action.

TIA,
Sid

Alex has already built a few 25PRC and they've been great accuracy wise. I'd run long freebore and put it on a medium action or one the new bat shorts than can use the 3.150 unknown dbm. I have done 25 Saum, 25sst and currently getting a 25prc done. The Saum/sst were on the same config proof 7.5tw 26" barrels, the Saum outpaced the sst by about 50-70fps using the same powders. The Saum was throated with 190k freebore on a medium Tikka. The sst would never run above 3140 without pressure using H1000, the saum would top 3200 no issues. I'll never again cut chambers that have single source boutique brass or require extensive labor forming. If I cannot just neck down and go, and there aren't at least 2 sources of quality brass, I suggest stearing clear of a cartridge. My newest 25prc is a 23" 7.5tw #5 brux and will wear an untra7 can, all I desire is 3100fps with newer 133-135 bullets. I am providing my personal experiences with 25 cal wildcats, I will not debate certain salesman on this site about how their cases with less capacity will outperform larger cases. "Efficiency" is just running higher chamber pressures, nothing else.

TIA,
Sid

I have .257 WBY with 22" 1:7" propelling the 145 Black Hole ~3100 FPS.

Built a 6.5ss. Had terrible results. Rich offered suggestions. Axisworks was a total dud. Don't expect anybody to back you if you go the wildcat route. After a second barrel, I'll never chamber another SS round and I'll never have Axisworks chamber another barrel of mine. I would stay the PRC route for sure. Especially with a Wheeler AW2 chamber.

Last edited:
25PRC should be pretty awesome and brass is pretty easy to source using 6.5prc brass.

Hands down that should be a knockout performer. 1:7 twist so you can shoot the 128gr Hammer and 135gr Berger. That is what my 257 weatherby is now and it has been awesome. It likes a hot load of H1000 with the Hammer and will sling them at 3340fps.

Getting brass right now sucks though for the 257 weatherby.

25 PRC is great. Good brass availability, about perfect capacity for the 130-135 class bullets. You chose a fantastic builder. Alex is among the best out there, and a great guy too.

I don't know what happened with this whole thing, but I would ask you to call or at least p m me. Eric has always been a stand up guy, so Im shocked to hear this!

Built a 6.5ss. Had terrible results. Rich offered suggestions. Axisworks was a total dud. Don't expect anybody to back you if you go the wildcat route. After a second barrel, I'll never chamber another SS round and I'll never have Axisworks chamber another barrel of mine. I would stay the PRC route for sure. Especially with a Wheeler AW2 chamber.
I don't know what happened with all this but I would ask that you please call or at least p m me. Eric has always been a stand up guy, so Im shocked to hear this.

Alex has already built a few 25PRC and they've been great accuracy wise. I'd run long freebore and put it on a medium action or one the new bat shorts than can use the 3.150 unknown dbm. I have done 25 Saum, 25sst and currently getting a 25prc done. The Saum/sst were on the same config proof 7.5tw 26" barrels, the Saum outpaced the sst by about 50-70fps using the same powders. The Saum was throated with 190k freebore on a medium Tikka. The sst would never run above 3140 without pressure using H1000, the saum would top 3200 no issues. I'll never again cut chambers that have single source boutique brass or require extensive labor forming. If I cannot just neck down and go, and there aren't at least 2 sources of quality brass, I suggest stearing clear of a cartridge. My newest 25prc is a 23" 7.5tw #5 brux and will wear an untra7 can, all I desire is 3100fps with newer 133-135 bullets. I am providing my personal experiences with 25 cal wildcats, I will not debate certain salesman on this site about how their cases with less capacity will outperform larger cases. "Efficiency" is just running higher chamber pressures, nothing else.
Im not surprised at all that the saum was faster. It had .102" more FB than the SST and has 3 grains more capacity to begin with. With equal FB, the SST would be very close. Also, you were running it in a long action, the SST runs well in a short action. There is room for both depending on application. Plus, the SST has ready to load head stamped brass and dies, reamers and brass are always available.
Also, we have a PRC/SI improved that will run 100" faster than the std. Lance ran some great side by side data on the 6.5 version which is on this site.