rob257

Trying to load a Ruger 77 with 20 inch ultralight barrel. Will not group with any bullets I have tried so far(many)

going to try hammer hunter 92 gr. Will be shooting deer and hogs under 200 yards. Will it kill them fast or should I use my 280ai

what hints for load data
Ps. I am a long time hunter/loader with lots of kills with many different calibers

just trying to get my wife's gun working right so we can log more kills with it

If it's a 77 and it won't shoot any bullets well, the first thing I'd check is wood to metal contact at barrel, trigger housing, bolt and magazine. The 77s can be made to shoot well and the 257 is a good cartridge. I had some fittment and clearance problems with mine. Carefully removed some wood and bedded the action, then all was well.

If it's a 77 and it won't shoot any bullets well, the first thing I'd check is wood to metal contact at barrel, trigger housing, bolt and magazine. The 77s can be made to shoot well and the 257 is a good cartridge. I had some fittment and clearance problems with mine. Carefully removed some wood and bedded the action, then all was well.
The 257 Roberts will kill fast one of my favorites but before you try those hammers like Taylor said get the bedding right on that mod 77 the Hammers are magic but your waisting your time and money if the stock is causing accuraccy problems

I agree with other posters, you will want to address the stock and a few other things first.
You never mentioned if the rifle was bedded.

Often I encounter the obvious, the action screws are loose.
Action screws should be torqued to an inch pound value.

The M77 front action screw hole is a blind hole. If rifle was bedded height can be changed or some bedding material got lodged in bottom of hole. I have seen this enough to inspect every M77 and ascertain that the screw is not bottoming out.

Ruger rings not seated properly in integral bases

Imperfection in barrel's crown

Screw holes in wood stock too small, drill larger so sides of action screw won't touch

Bolt handle touching stock

Mag box must not bind

Front of trigger group must not touch stock

Trigger guard must not touch trigger

Barrel should not make contact with barrel channel. Due to some flexing some rifles required additional material be removed from stock.

Could be severe fouling. I have encountered rifles with owner only using Hoppes which leaves copper fouling so severe that there were speed bumps of copper in the bore. It took a long time with a good copper solvent to get it clean.

Looks like I have lots of work to do. It is my only rifle that won't shoot well enough for hunting.
Anybody have load data to try

thanks

Looks like I have lots of work to do. It is my only rifle that won't shoot well enough for hunting.
Anybody have load data to try

thanks
Usually, any flavor of 4350 works well in that round. At least Ruger built it on a long action. Good luck, and yeah, the 92 Hammer will do the deed at hand. I have first hand experience with it, and its a winner.

yes free floated but really thin barrel. I put some paper under front of stock to quiet barrel whip. It helped some but still 2 inch at a hundred with Barnes ttsx. I had done a real quick bed job but did not remove any wood, just filled any open spaces. Have not scopes the barrel. Bet only 150 rounds total in it. Tried two different leupold vx2 scopes and all screws are tight

will start all over on everything

is h4895 better with short barrel

thanks to everybody for all tips

yes free floated but really thin barrel. I put some paper under front of stock to quiet barrel whip. It helped some but still 2 inch at a hundred with Barnes ttsx. I had done a real quick bed job but did not remove any wood, just filled any open spaces. Have not scopes the barrel. Bet only 150 rounds total in it. Tried two different leupold vx2 scopes and all screws are tight

will start all over on everything

is h4895 better with short barrel

thanks to everybody for all tips
I have used h4895 with 100 gr. For years with really good results.

I agree with other posters, you will want to address the stock and a few other things first.
You never mentioned if the rifle was bedded.

Often I encounter the obvious, the action screws are loose.
Action screws should be torqued to an inch pound value.

The M77 front action screw hole is a blind hole. If rifle was bedded height can be changed or some bedding material got lodged in bottom of hole. I have seen this enough to inspect every M77 and ascertain that the screw is not bottoming out.

Ruger rings not seated properly in integral bases

Imperfection in barrel's crown

Screw holes in wood stock too small, drill larger so sides of action screw won't touch

Bolt handle touching stock

Mag box must not bind

Front of trigger group must not touch stock

Trigger guard must not touch trigger

Barrel should not make contact with barrel channel. Due to some flexing some rifles required additional material be removed from stock.

Could be severe fouling. I have encountered rifles with owner only using Hoppes which leaves copper fouling so severe that there were speed bumps of copper in the bore. It took a long time with a good copper solvent to get it clean.

This is an excellent, systematic approach to problem solving accuracy issues. With the most common things listed first.