257 Robert's

I have a 1936 Model 54 that has a Model 70 barrel. It was the 1st real deer rifle my father gave me. It shoots the 117 hornady superperformance wonderfully. Shot my first two deer with it. Fast forward 30 years. I bought a maple limited edition Model 70 in .257 for my 50th birthday. It was just too pretty to shoot and I sold it. Still kicking myself. I bought a high grade .270 fw which is a good hunter. Later I bought a few 257 xtr. Never could get it to shoot after tons of loads. Loaded some 80 g. Ttsx about max load and shot a .36" group. Haven't shot it since. Will have to load some verification loads. I have been thinking about getting a hart sporter barrel on it and making it a little different with a threaded barrel. Long wait though...

I had 2 Bobs pass theough my hands over the years. One was a Custom '36 Mexican mauser that supposedly belonged to a well-known Hollywood- type, but I had no provenance on it. The other was a standard pre-64 m-70, but it was just too heavy. Bobs should only be rifles that literally are like magic wands. Like the above mentioned Ruger

I recently bought a Bob from a friend. It is a Remington 722. It has a vintage weaver on it and I guess you could order them as a combo deal with a weaver scope back in the 50's. I can't wait to see how it shoots. If it shoots 1 MOA or so I will be happy, as I am going to leave it just how I bought it. It has a 20" barrel that says "Marble" on the top close to the action. I guess you could custom order a 20" barrel from Remington in the 722, as they didn't offer it standard. Really cool gun. I have several guns that shoot heavy for caliber high BC bullets at impressive speeds, topped with good optics, and honestly I can't wait to hunt with this old gun. Going to keep it simple, probably try some 110 accubonds with some H4350.

Last edited:
I have been shooting a Kimber Classic .257 Roberts for many years now and I consistently shoot 3/4" groups with factory +P ammo from Nosler (110 gr Accubonds pushing at least 3050 fps - I shoot the 115s too and only lose about 50 fps). I love the brass for handloads and am able to shrink groups to 1/2" or better with it. Not bad for a factory rig with a wood stock - I have another Kimber in .280 AI that also shoots very well.

I've got a new-ish Kimber Hunter in 257R. Hasn't been hard to get to shoot with 117 grn NBT at 2920 being the best (R26 powder). Hornady plus p brass and resized Norma 6mm have been fine. But it's had terrible mag feeding issues with the 2nd and 3rd rounds dipping. Replacement mag the same. But thank goodness a good gunsmith has extended the oal in the mags a little and now it's fixed. Happy now and it has accounted for 2 deer with clean kills.

562BCD68-E5F1-4897-AA62-451E43435E10.jpeg

Been slammed with work, finally was able to pick it up from my buddy. Can't wait to start load development on this oldie. Should have the brass and bullets by midweek!