257 Robert's

It's the remington mountain rifle in 700.
Sorry I guess I saw the other posts in this group about the Rugers. I have a handful of Remington 700 Classics in 257 Roberts and 257 Roberts AI, I have had great luck with the 100 gr Nosler Ballistic tips for accuracy in mine and have made at least one incredibly long shot on an Aoudad sheep (he just broke a front leg low) that a hunting companion had wounded ( I was only shooting at long range to prevent a wounded animal from getting away). You need to limit your sessions to three round groups with the Mountain rilfes because of the #3 weight barrls on them, they can be very finicky and unpredictable at times on accuracy, I much prefer the #4 barrels on the 700 Classic and BDL versions for accuracy!

Sorry I guess I saw the other posts in this group about the Rugers. I have a handful of Remington 700 Classics in 257 Roberts and 257 Roberts AI, I have had great luck with the 100 gr Nosler Ballistic tips for accuracy in mine and have made at least one incredibly long shot on an Aoudad sheep (he just broke a front leg low) that a hunting companion had wounded ( I was only shooting at long range to prevent a wounded animal from getting away). You need to limit your sessions to three round groups with the Mountain rilfes because of the #3 weight barrls on them, they can be very finicky and unpredictable at times on accuracy, I much prefer the #4 barrels on the 700 Classic and BDL versions for accuracy!
Thank you, what's your favorite powder to use?

Thank you, what's your favorite powder to use?
H4831SC and H414 both work really well in the Bob. My Kimber in .257 was difficult to get to shoot with heavier bullets, but loves the 100 grain bullets. Both the 100 grain TTSX and Nosler Partition shoot sub MOA in the rifle with very good velocity. I have both Remington and Frontier brass and they last a long time in this mild cartridge.

I have an old model 77 with the pencil thin barrel and love it. However.......

It wasn't out of the box, match made in heaven, accurate. It took me a while to figure out some of the little things causing issues.
First glass bed it, and when you do don't put the center screw at all. Barely snug the rear screw. Once it's cured, and you reassemble it, as mentioned above, barely tighten the middle screw enough to keep it in. This with a little trigger tune was all it needed.
Don't shoot more than three in a row, same as other skinny barrels. Cool between strings.
I've found mine shoots flat based bullets better than boattails for some reason. It's now zeroed with 115gr partitions, but I've used it a ton on coyotes with 75gr Hornady HPs, and deer with 100gr of several varieties and up. One I have not tried was the Sierra 95gr? Or close to it but I've heard many recommend it.

What is the rifle twist in your rig and how long are the bullets you're shooting? Some of those rifles don't like the longer 120s... couldn't get the Sierra BTSP nor any of the "long" bullets to shoot. I switched to 117 Sierra flat base with a low radius ogive spitzer and group came down to .7 MOA. BC was not as good, but most "bob" owners don't go for more than 300 yd shots so that's not a show stopper.

Concerning brass, I actually had one of the members on this forum send me some, might just ask if anyone here has any for sale or trade. I got 100 rds of once fired Remington (I think it was remy) for $50.00...in the age of unobtanium I thought that was OK:)

I have an old model 77 with the pencil thin barrel and love it. However.......

It wasn't out of the box, match made in heaven, accurate. It took me a while to figure out some of the little things causing issues.
First glass bed it, and when you do don't put the center screw at all. Barely snug the rear screw. Once it's cured, and you reassemble it, as mentioned above, barely tighten the middle screw enough to keep it in. This with a little trigger tune was all it needed.
Don't shoot more than three in a row, same as other skinny barrels. Cool between strings.
I've found mine shoots flat based bullets better than boattails for some reason. It's now zeroed with 115gr partitions, but I've used it a ton on coyotes with 75gr Hornady HPs, and deer with 100gr of several varieties and up. One I have not tried was the Sierra 95gr? Or close to it but I've heard many recommend it.
Thank you, I didn't think about the flat based bullets 🤔

What is the rifle twist in your rig and how long are the bullets you're shooting? Some of those rifles don't like the longer 120s... couldn't get the Sierra BTSP nor any of the "long" bullets to shoot. I switched to 117 Sierra flat base with a low radius ogive spitzer and group came down to .7 MOA. BC was not as good, but most "bob" owners don't go for more than 300 yd shots so that's not a show stopper.
I will have to look when I get home. I've tried a few but I don't think I have ever tried a flat based bullet yet. The ones I'm going to try next is the 110gr Sierra tgks.

Nothing wrong in necking up 6 Rem brass! Also, made brass from 7x57 brass, but had to neck-turn the brass. PPU 7x57 brass is tough brass.

Today, I shoot a Roberts AI.

In the late 80's, I was at the rifle range and a friend had bought a new Ruger 77 in Roberts. That rifle was shooting patterns, not groups. He was so angry at the rifle. He had fired around 100 rounds during the day trying to sight in and find a good factory load that the rifle liked.

He offered to sell me the rifle for cheap, and I bought it on the spot. I cleaned the barrel, bedded the rifle, free-floated the barrel, and removed that center screw. I reload at the rifle range, and the Next time at the rifle range, I was shooting 1/2-3/4" groups with little effort with my reloads. Since he was a friend, I sold him the rifle back. 117g Sierra btsp with IMR 4350 was magic in that rifle.

On these rifles, make sure you can open the floor plate, reach up inside with a finger and easily wiggle the mag box. If the mag box is tight, then it is pushing up on the center of the action, and often this stress will ruin accuracy. Often a little filing with a square file, making the notches deeper for the trigger guard and the floor plate. Once you see this for the first time, the lights come on....you wonder why such a simple fix is not done at the factory.
Thanks for the info makes sense