257 Robert's

I have a 1954 FN mauser Roberts that my dad bought in '54-55 when he was in Bad Tolz with the 10th SFG. Killed my first whitetail buck with it in '78. It is not picky about brass, I run RP, Win
And Nosler sorted by brand and weight with no issues. A Barnes 80ttsx over a healthy charge of H4350 shoots and performs very well. I have some Hornady 90grn CX on order to try. Planning to try Re-16 under those.

I have some Hornady 90grn CX on order to try. Planning to try Re-16 under those.
I tsted Hornady GMX and had a failure to expand at about 80 yds. Never a failure with Barnes 80 gr , 100 gr or 75 hr hammer hunter

I tsted Hornady GMX and had a failure to expand at about 80 yds. Never a failure with Barnes 80 gr , 100 gr or 75 hr hammer hunter
The 90 gr Hammer absolute will give you several 100 fps over any other bullet in it's weight class and will work in the 1-10 twist.That's the bullet I shoot in my 1/4 bores

I have a Ruger Hawkeye in 257 Roberts. Most times it's 2 to 3 inch three shot groups at 100 yards. Put in a timney trigger and bedded it. Still not good. I've gotten so frustrated that I haven't messed with it for a while. I like the cartridge and the rifle, just not the accuracy. Once in a while it tosses a good group, just often enough to give me hope.
It may be barrel and a professional bedding job. Open to suggestions.
It could be something as simple as the crown being dinged or miscut. It could also be that it needs a really good cleaning. It could be the scope mounts, a screw that is too long and making contact with the barrel threads, or loose screws. It could be the scope itself. It could be the barrel not free floating or making contact with the stock at some point, or simply not having enough clearance at some point along the barrel channel. There is a multitude of things to look for that could cause problems, just too many to list here.

Last edited:
Nothing wrong in necking up 6 Rem brass! Also, made brass from 7x57 brass, but had to neck-turn the brass. PPU 7x57 brass is tough brass.

Today, I shoot a Roberts AI.

In the late 80's, I was at the rifle range and a friend had bought a new Ruger 77 in Roberts. That rifle was shooting patterns, not groups. He was so angry at the rifle. He had fired around 100 rounds during the day trying to sight in and find a good factory load that the rifle liked.

He offered to sell me the rifle for cheap, and I bought it on the spot. I cleaned the barrel, bedded the rifle, free-floated the barrel, and removed that center screw. I reload at the rifle range, and the Next time at the rifle range, I was shooting 1/2-3/4" groups with little effort with my reloads. Since he was a friend, I sold him the rifle back. 117g Sierra btsp with IMR 4350 was magic in that rifle.

On these rifles, make sure you can open the floor plate, reach up inside with a finger and easily wiggle the mag box. If the mag box is tight, then it is pushing up on the center of the action, and often this stress will ruin accuracy. Often a little filing with a square file, making the notches deeper for the trigger guard and the floor plate. Once you see this for the first time, the lights come on....you wonder why such a simple fix is not done at the factory.

On these rifles, make sure you can open the floor plate, reach up inside with a finger and easily wiggle the mag box. If the mag box is tight, then it is pushing up on the center of the action, and often this stress will ruin accuracy. Often a little filing with a square file, making the notches deeper for the trigger guard and the floor plate. Once you see this for the first time, the lights come on....you wonder why such a simple fix is not done at the factory.
^^Truth^^

I have this rifle that's been the hardest rifle that I have ever loaded for. Now I'm thinking maybe it's a brass issue. What's the best brass out there for the Robert's?
I don't remember the twist rate on the Ruger in 257 Roberts but you might check that first and make sure your bullet weight is compatible. I know I have had an easier time working up accurate loads in my factory Reminton rifles than I have in my Ruger rifles. The 257 Bob is a great round.

I don't remember the twist rate on the Ruger in 257 Roberts but you might check that first and make sure your bullet weight is compatible. I know I have had an easier time working up accurate loads in my factory Reminton rifles than I have in my Ruger rifles. The 257 Bob is a great round.
It's the remington mountain rifle in 700.