.257 rob

Decided to see what I had on hand in 257 caliber, surprisingly a good variety for never reloading for one.
View attachment 471561
I have a couple thousand .257 bullets of different varieties. I've got about 750 of them, mostly 87 grain, but 150 Hornady 117 btsp and a full box of Hornady 110 grain interbond that I'm gonna put on gunbroker in the next day or two.

I'm planning to see what they do for whitetail with an mv of 4150 this November 😁
So far I've fired 4 Hammer bullets at deer....and there were 4 dead deer as a result. 3 were from my 25-06 with 90gr AH going 3611 fps. 1 was from my 6.5CM with 85gr HH going 3402. In 3 out of 4 of them ran in a circle and dropped within seconds. The other one was a bang flop without even a twitch.

Until I see otherwise, I'm sticking with Hammers for hunting going forward.

Want to open up this topic for discussion:

110 gr. Nosler accubond vs barnes 100gr

Target species: whitetail

I'm sure it's a close enough not to make a difference conversation, just looking for some real in field experience.

I recently got a kimber classic I want to load up for a woods gun for deer under 200 yards

We've had 25's, mostly 25-06's, for several decades, and in that time, we have used everything from 80-85gr Barnes to various C'n'C 120's for deer sized game. For the past several years, I have rather settled in on the 80gr Barnes for SR speed and 110AB for its accuracy and dependability, but the old Speer, Sierra, Nosler and Hornady 100gr bullets never failed to bring home the venison in the shorter ranges you specify.

One of my past favorites was the old Nosler 120gr Solid Base BT, and I still have about three 100 ct boxes of those on the shelf. They always performed well for me even at the longer ranges with the 25-06's.

Attachments

• IMG_0320.jpg
    IMG_0320.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 20
We've had 25's, mostly 25-06's, for several decades, and in that time, we have used everything from 80-85gr Barnes to various C'n'C 120's for deer sized game. For the past several years, I have rather settled in on the 80gr Barnes for SR speed and 110AB, but the old Speer, Sierra, Nosler and Hornady 100gr bullets never failed to bring home the venison in the shorter ranges you specify.

One of my past favorites was the old Nosler 120gr Solid Base BT, and I still have about three 100 ct boxes of those on the shelf. They always performed well for me even at the longer ranges with the 25-06's.
Ooooooh, nostalgia alert!!!!

I was given a box of old 130 grain 270 solid bases…never did hunt with them but they were very accurate.

Thanks for making me feel old...........Ha!
Anytime 🤣

No but seriously those bullets seemed very well made and I long for the days when Nosler cup and cores weren't more expensive than actual premiums from other companies.

I like finding old guns, old bullets, stuff that isn't made anymore. My old savage 99 243, husqvarna 8mm, and BRNO .358 Norma have a warm fuzzy place in my heart that no synthetic stocked rifle will ever compete with. Even if my more modern rifles are more accurate.

And bullets! I'm cherishing a box of bullets that Winchester stopped making so long ago that there's no mention of them existing ANYWHERE on the internet…but I have them, I know they're real! 🤣

A 270 grain round nose power-point that I'm going to handload in my .358 Norma. Everything about that bullet screams old-school cool factor and i imagine it'll hit like a cement truck inside 300 yards as well

Anytime 🤣

No but seriously those bullets seemed very well made and I long for the days when Nosler cup and cores weren't more expensive than actual premiums from other companies.

I like finding old guns, old bullets, stuff that isn't made anymore. My old savage 99 243, husqvarna 8mm, and BRNO .358 Norma have a warm fuzzy place in my heart that no synthetic stocked rifle will ever compete with. Even if my more modern rifles are more accurate.

And bullets! I'm cherishing a box of bullets that Winchester stopped making so long ago that there's no mention of them existing ANYWHERE on the internet…but I have them, I know they're real! 🤣

A 270 grain round nose power-point that I'm going to handload in my .358 Norma. Everything about that bullet screams old-school cool factor and i imagine it'll hit like a cement truck inside 300 yards as well

Yes. The days when they came 100/bx and not 50 and were close in price to other brands with routinely repeatable quality. Since I typically bought in bulk once a good load was discovered, I find myself with several older items that are no longer in production.

As far as those mysterious Win bullets that only you seem to think exist, well, even now the gov is admitting space aliens maybe real. So, there is hope.

I'm sure it's a close enough not to make a difference conversation, just looking for some real in field experience.

I recently got a kimber classic I want to load up for a woods gun for deer under 200 yards

I've used 100 grain Sierra spitzers and really like the 90 grain game king bthp. The 257 bobber is just a sweetheart of a deer cartridge and with todays bullets I'd not think twice on using it for black bear and elk within reason! Sierra 75 grain hp's are a bit rough on coyote and fox hides but I've parked my stretchers decades ago! I still have a 257 I rarely shoot once in a great while but won't part with it just because well it's a bobber.

I have some but limited quantity, im afraid it will like the accubonds and then I will be chasing unicorn ls trying to find them, I have quite a few barnes. Also thinking about sierras tipped gamekings
I've never once regretted shooting sierras, never heard a complaint from any critters either but they seem to be becoming hard to find lately.

We've had 25's, mostly 25-06's, for several decades, and in that time, we have used everything from 80-85gr Barnes to various C'n'C 120's for deer sized game. For the past several years, I have rather settled in on the 80gr Barnes for SR speed and 110AB for its accuracy and dependability, but the old Speer, Sierra, Nosler and Hornady 100gr bullets never failed to bring home the venison in the shorter ranges you specify.

If you want to sell them, please let me know. i will pay at present day prices. I only have a few left presently. That was the bullet I used for hunting deer with out to 500 yds in my 25/06 for years. Loved the bullet.

If you want to sell them, please let me know. i will pay at present day prices. I only have a few left presently. That was the bullet I used for hunting deer with out to 500 yds in my 25/06 for years. Loved the bullet.
Sorry, but for the same reasons you state, I just can't part with them. However, if for some reason my health declines faster than expected, I will keep you in mind.