.257 rob

I've taken dozens of deer with barnes in my 257AI. 100 gr is unnecessary for whitetail. I tried the 100 and was not needed. I switched to the 80 gr. It always expands and always full penetration and shoots like a laser. I left Barnes though for Hammers because Barnes became so hard to get at the time. I would not hesitate to use them again

I've taken dozens of deer with barnes in my 257AI. 100 gr is unnecessary for whitetail. I tried the 100 and was not needed. I switched to the 80 gr. It always expands and always full penetration and shoots like a laser. I left Barnes though for Hammers because Barnes became so hard to get at the time. I would not hesitate to use them again
I have used hammer in my 33 nosler and have a box of 6mm for a dasher to try. Are hammer bullets still readily available?

I have used hammer in my 33 nosler and have a box of 6mm for a dasher to try. Are hammer bullets still readily available?
Absolutely. I have never had hammers that I use on backorder. I use them in 6mm, 257, 7mm, and 338.
I use the 75 gr HH in my 257 currently and have taken 6 deer with them and no issues. Full expansion and full penetration at over 3300 fps.

Last edited:
Absolutely. I have never had hammers that I use on backorder

I am glad to see this, the owner was always super responsive and helpful in the early stages and I'm glad they didn't outgrow their ability to provide the product

Entry and exit wounds on a whitetail buck with a Ruger 77 in 257 roberts and a 100 grain winchester silvertip, and he still ran about a hundred before giving up. I'm now using 98 grain hammers, and they're grouping about a half inch at a hundred in the same rifle.

Attachments

• 20180111_113106.jpeg
    20180111_113106.jpeg
    975.5 KB · Views: 29
  • 20180111_113126.jpeg
    20180111_113126.jpeg
    924.6 KB · Views: 31
I'm using 115 grn Nosler BT through my Kimber Hunter. 2950 fps (R26 powder). Very accurate. Kills them near and far. Quite a lot of meat damage with closer shoulder shots. This one was 80 yards and the bullet passed through. Exit in pic. Ran about 20 yards dead on its feet. I couldn't get the 110 weight projectiles to shoot.

IMG_7030.jpeg

Decided to see what I had on hand in 257 caliber, surprisingly a good variety for never reloading for one.
20230619_200727.jpg

I use 100 Barnes tsx in mine, previously used Nos 115BT for many deer with great results. Never had to look for one as they fell in place as well as a couple feral pigs. That's the only bullet that rifle would shoot well. I used the 110 Nos AB in a 257 WBY for a couple deer I think.
The 100g tsx shoots pretty good in my M70 257 rob but I have some Hammer 92 grain hunters that I may be shooting in the future. Any of those choices you have will be fine, just a matter of what shoots the best.

I had a Kimber Classic in 25-06, great rifle, miss it. I also have a custom Mauser in 257AI and 338-06, never used the Barnes in any of my 25's, but have used 100's of the 110g Accubonds on our medium sized Fallow deer with excellent results. Have used them in the 257AI, 25-06 and 257Bee with none ever coming apart and performing excellent with deep penetration for a 1/4" bore.
For retained weight, the Barnes is superior no doubt, but the Accubonds, when you recover them, hold together really well and only lose around 70-75% of their weight at 257 velocities, they lose more out of the Bee, but kill really quick.

Cheers.

Are they moly?
Yes, coated is what Barnes called it.
The XLC Bullet is coated with a dry film lubricant that will substantially decrease the friction within the bore of your rifle. This leads to almost double the shots between cleanings due to dramatically reduced copper build-up. Accuracy will also be maintained for up to double the rounds and the barrel will stay cooler while shooting. Cheers

Absolutely. I have never had hammers that I use on backorder. I use them in 6mm, 257, 7mm, and 338.
I use the 75 gr HH in my 257 currently and have taken 6 deer with them and no issues. Full expansion and full penetration at over 3300 fps.

I'm planning to see what they do for whitetail with an mv of 4150 this November 😁