25 SHERMAN (THE LATEST LASER)

I'm hoping to revive this thread.
My build:
Tikka T3X action
Mesa precision stock
Mountain Tactical DBM that fits Tikka inlet
CF wrapped 26" barrel from Preferred Barrel Blanks in 25 Sherman
Vortex Razor LHT 4.5-22

I found some Nosler 270 brass and fire formed. I did a ladder pressure test with VV N565 which was interesting...

I started at 56gr in 1gr increments up to 60gr, then 0.5gr. I had no pressure signs until 62gr, then blown primer which I thought was odd given no primer flattening, no ejector marks, no heavy bolt lift.

I cleaned thoroughly, did another pressure test today with VV N570 and went from 56gr - 64gr. I had an ejector mark at 64gr.

I'm going to do further load testing this weekend. We'll see…

I'm hoping to revive this thread.
My build:
Tikka T3X action
Mesa precision stock
Mountain Tactical DBM that fits Tikka inlet
CF wrapped 26" barrel from Preferred Barrel Blanks in 25 Sherman
Vortex Razor LHT 4.5-22

I found some Nosler 270 brass and fire formed. I did a ladder pressure test with VV N565 which was interesting...

I started at 56gr in 1gr increments up to 60gr, then 0.5gr. I had no pressure signs until 62gr, then blown primer which I thought was odd given no primer flattening, no ejector marks, no heavy bolt lift.

I cleaned thoroughly, did another pressure test today with VV N570 and went from 56gr - 64gr. I had an ejector mark at 64gr.

I'm going to do further load testing this weekend. We'll see…
What bullet are you running? What kind of velocities are you getting?

With the resurgence of the 1/4 bore with bullets like the 131 BJ, Ive decided to accommodate the guys who want a laser on a '06 bolt size.
I have a new reamer available next week and the 6.5 Sherman bushing dies should work just fine (in stock)
All you need to get one started is some 270 or 280 brass. It's simple to fire form and you have a cartridge capable of 3400' with a . 330 b c bullet. If you run the numbers, you'll find this thing will be an absolute hammer for long range shots at antelope and deer and all on available '06 size actions!
I think our definitions of a laser are a bit different!! LOL 😁

Ya, I think you're right compared to a 25 on one of your cases!
Ill probably get more than 300 rounds though;)
My 25 and 26 Stalkers will get 1000 round barrel life if used correctly. Spent a career being told my 7mm Allen Magnum would burn barrels up before a good load could be found. Just kept smiling and now hundreds of my customers smile as well because they know if used correctly they will get many many years of use out of them even for serious big game hunters.

My 25 and 26 Stalkers will get 1000 round barrel life if used correctly. Spent a career being told my 7mm Allen Magnum would burn barrels up before a good load could be found. Just kept smiling and now hundreds of my customers smile as well because they know if used correctly they will get many many years of use out of them even for serious big game hunters.
What is a 25 stalker?

Its one of my wildcats i chamber my Stalker rifles in. There is the 25, 26 and 27 Stalker at this point. All based on the 300 norma mag case necked down and then fireformed to my Allen Mag case design. The 25 Stalker was designed for those wanting speed. Will do a legit and comfortable 4000 fps with a 100 gr bullet weight. Also works well with the heavier bullets also but for those i generally recommend the 26 Stalker which will do 3500+ with 140 gr class bullets and +3400 fps with the big 156 gr bergers. All this out of a 26" barrel length in my lightweight Stalker rifles. The 27 Stalker is designed to be best served with the 170 gr berger which it will push very close to 3400 fps.

this pic shows the norma case on the left, necked down case in middle ready for fireforming and finished 25 Stalker on the right.
26150DE0-371A-46A8-BAA4-1C525FC639DA.jpeg

this pic shows two 25 Stalker rounds loaded with the 110 gr accubond on the left compared to the wildcat it was designed to replace, my old 257 Allen Magnum. The 257 AM is based on the 338 Lapua and the two have nearly identical case capacity. However, because of the dramatically stronger 300 norma mag parent case, the 25 Stalker and its siblings will add a solid 100 fps to the velocity of the old AM rounds and do it with twice the case life.
FF879E20-0185-44B4-9C92-C0A7DB6F6138.jpeg

since the 300 norma parent case has the same head diameter as the lapua case, it greatly simplifies my build process as all my Stalker receivers can be ordered the same for all my Stalker, Allen Mag (lapua based ones anyway), Allen Xpress and Raptor wildcats as they now all use the same head diameter, just different length cases on the 300 norma, 338 lapua and Raptor parent cases.

I understand what you mean about defending everything Kirby! I don't pay too much attention anymore.
Its a waste of time. Just let the cartridges speak for themselves.
I wish you continued success!
Rich

Last edited: