25 Sherman

ssinrdg

Rich,
I have been thinking about this for awhile, as I pretty much already have all the pieces and parts to put together a rifle, other than the reamer and tweaks to the 6.5 sizing and seater dies (if that is feasible). I understand that the shorter fatter cases are more efficient and popular right now without having to fireform, but for some of us this may be an easy and cheap solution to being able to shoot the newer heavy high BC .257 caliber bullets very fast and accurate. I would like to invite others input and interest into this to see if its viable. Even though it does involve fireforming, that can be done while braking in the barrel. I believe the 270 RWS brass may even be available for others right now.
Thanks

Rich,
I have been thinking about this for awhile, as I pretty much already have all the pieces and parts to put together a rifle, other than the reamer and tweaks to the 6.5 sizing and seater dies (if that is feasible). I understand that the shorter fatter cases are more efficient and popular right now without having to fireform, but for some of us this may be an easy and cheap solution to being able to shoot the newer heavy high BC .257 caliber bullets very fast and accurate. I would like to invite others input and interest into this to see if its viable. Even though it does involve fireforming, that can be done while braking in the barrel. I believe the 270 RWS brass may even be available for others right now.
Thanks
Ive thought about it for some time but had higher priorities. With the 131 BJ breathing new life into the 25, and other manufacturers sure to follow, I suppose its time to give it another look.
Yes, there is some 270 RWS brass currently in stock at Huntingtons. If not, then Norma works pretty well too.
The 6.5 Sherman would likely run the 131 up to 3400' with a 26" barrel and with good accuracy in the 3300+ range.

This sounds like a winner to me! From a marketing standpoint it's probably not the best choice simply because of the limited supply of projectiles and the competition guys gravitate towards short action chamberings but there is still almost a quarter bore cult around the 25-06 and 257 weatherby. This would land right around the latter with the same bolt face as the '06, so I'm sure if you build it, they will come!