25 SHERMAN (THE LATEST LASER)

What bullet are you running? What kind of velocities are you getting?
I have both the 135gr Berger and the 131 Blackjack bullets. I have used the 135 Bergers thus far after fireforming brass.

I only have 100 rds on the barrel but was getting >3200fps with N570. Interestingly, I have had no heavy bolt lift at all (it is on a Tikka action), did see some flattening of primers, no ejector marks, but I have had a couple blown primers. I am using Nosler 270 win brass.

I have both the 135gr Berger and the 131 Blackjack bullets. I have used the 135 Bergers thus far after fireforming brass.

I only have 100 rds on the barrel but was getting >3200fps with N570. Interestingly, I have had no heavy bolt lift at all (it is on a Tikka action), did see some flattening of primers, no ejector marks, but I have had a couple blown primers. I am using Nosler 270 win brass.
What's your COAL? How do they fit in the magazine? Can you get close to the lands?

Thanks!

Not shooting a 25SST but I am shooting the 131 BJ and 133 Berger EH. Got two identical 3 shot groups with each. Half grain difference in powder charge but same accuracy. Pushed it to 3100 fps but accuracy suffered. Now around 2950. .015 off the lands with both bullets.

Attachments

• 195800.jpeg
    195800.jpeg
    269.9 KB · Views: 56
  • 195802.jpeg
    195802.jpeg
    276.2 KB · Views: 56

A little different, but I'm running Peterson .270 brass in a couple .270 Sherman's, in a 25" we're running the 140 Badlands sbdii mono at 3240, and it is 2 grains below any pressure signs using N565. Sounds like you might need better brass? The other .270 Sherman is a 19", that is running the same bullet at 3065 on a lower node with RL26, the upper was 3150, and was about half a grain below pressure signs, so pretty close

Last edited:
A little different, but I'm running Peterson .270 brass in a couple .270 Sherman's, in a 25" we're running the 140 Badlands sbdii mono at 3240, and it is 2 grains below any pressure signs using N565. Sounds like you might need better brass? The other .270 Sherman is a 19", that is running the same bullet at 3065 on a lower node with RL26, the upper was 3150, and was about half a grain below pressure signs, so pretty close
RL26 wasn't too hot at 55.3 grains for me in my 25-284. Only a 24" barrel but 3100 was what I got with 55.3 grains. Wouldn't go any further as accuracy opened up to around half inch. That's acceptable for me but one hole groups is hard to argue with.

RL26 wasn't too hot at 55.3 grains for me in my 25-284. Only a 24" barrel but 3100 was what I got with 55.3 grains. Wouldn't go any further as accuracy opened up to around half inch. That's acceptable for me but one hole groups is hard to argue with.
Sorry, I was referencing dworrel, forgot to add his quote in.....he was loosing primer pockets with apparently no other real pressure signs? Sounds like brass to me. Your stuff sounds spot on!

What's your COAL? How do they fit in the magazine? Can you get close to the lands?

Thanks!
Mountain tactical makes a a replacement drop in bottom metal for Tikka actions. I have been using one of those with an AICS mag, but it does not feed well from the magazine.

My overall length is 3.475", which is about .025 off of lands.

I have been using the Nosler 270 Win brass in standard 270 Win rifle and have a had several blown primers way before signs of overpressure. Unfortunately, that was the only "quality" brass available at the time. I guess I need to wait until some Peterson is available.

I have been using the Nosler 270 Win brass in standard 270 Win rifle and have a had several blown primers way before signs of overpressure. Unfortunately, that was the only "quality" brass available at the time. I guess I need to wait until some Peterson is available.
Nosler brass is way overpriced in my opinion! Pretty consistent, but soft.

Recent Posts