Latest Results from the Howa 22.250HB

bigfellascott

I got my Howa about 1.5mths ago and have to say I am very very pleased with how its been performing. From day one the first group using Factory Remington Corelokts 55gn ammo produced 3/4 at 50m and did this consistantly. After the run in process I decided to see what it could do at 100m, it was great 1" or less consistantly so happy with that so far.

I then decided to do some handloads up for it - first I decided the charge range which was from 32.5gn up to 35.5gn of AR2206H (Australian Brand ADI) which is excellent powder by the way, next step was to decide on what projectile to use, I decided to use Nosler B-Tips and Hornady V-Max, both in 55gn.

From the testing I'd done it was clear to me that the charge range of 34 to 34.5 seemed to produce the best and most consistant results, so I then worked some loads up to that charge range, I also worked out a OAL of 2.307" seemed to get better groups so I settled on that as the OAL for both projectiles.

After doing 14 groups the average group size was .6" @ 100m. Not bad considering the heavy trigger and the windy gusty weather that the groups were shot in. Check out the pics below.

To one of the Members of this forum Ridge Rider, who says they are cheap and don't expect much from them - have a look mate, they may be cheap but they certainly can shoot, you can't deny that, price doesn't always reflect quality and how well something will shot, I've seen plenty of very expensive rifles that don't shoot anywhere near as good as the Howa does. I paid around $600 for the Howa.

The scope is a Zeiss 6.5-20x50 with the 20 Z-Plex Reticle - just a beautiful, bright and very clear scope - simply amazing scopes - I can highly recommend those as well, the mounts are Leupold and am happy with their performance as well.

I have since had the trigger worked and it is - to put it bluntly a bench rest trigger now, super light @ 8oz and the slightest touch and its away. I will however adjust it so its not quite so touchy, not the sort of trigger you want when hunting, other than that wow what a fantastic outfit it has turned out to be, I may also later on down the track bed the action.

I can happily recommend Howas - know of quite a few people who use them professionally here in Australia, who cull Kangaroos for a living and they swear by them. Here in Australia it is a requirement that they all be headshot, which give you a target about the size of a Orange to hit at 100, 200 or 300m + these rifles are certainly capable of that sort of accuracy.

19032011197.jpg

Howa 22.250HB with Boyds Ross Featherweight Varmint Thumbhole Stock

Picture197.jpg

NOSLER BT 55gn /34.5gn AR2206H / CCIB2 PRIMER / REM CASE

Picture185.jpg

HORNADY V-MAX 55gn / 34gn AR2206H / CCIB2 PRIMER / REM CASE

I did some testing with the Howa 22.250HB at 200m and got some great results here is a group of .6" @ 200m which is fantastic, I also got some around .8" and .9, also just over 1.2" which is fantastic shooting for what I want it for, manly hunting bunnies and foxes.

Picture192-1.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.