Terminal results from 350gr SMK on game.

groper

Hi folks,

Finally got to test the 375cal, 350gr SMK on game. The animal is an estimated 800kg feral camel. The bullet was fired from a 375CT @ 3150fps at a distance of approx 100yds.

The results was an instant bang flop, entry just behind the shoulder, but no exit. I put another 2 rounds into the carcass for further ballistic testing at different body girths, and again, no exit from any of them. Unfortunately i didnt have any knives with me at the time as i wasnt hunting at the time, more of an opportunistic situation as it happened, so was unable to examine the wound cavities.

My conclusions were that the bullet is highly frangible at this velocity, too frangible infact. Even the thinnest part of the body i shot at, the neck, was only 12inches thick. The area felt very spongy but no exit here tells me the bullet is exploding/fragmenting very quickly inside.

This is promising results from a long range hunting perspective, as we know a fragile bullet is needed at the reduced impact velocities at long range. These results were also very similar to what i have observed from shooting the 300gr SMK from a 338 edge at close ranges. No exits and exploding bullets.

Due to the high BC of the 350gr SMK 0.78, i think it would be an ideal LR hunting bullet and a worthy bullet to build a 375cal rifle around. it would be nice to see more 375RUMs in this game, not to mention the 375CT beside all the 338`s. From my calculations, a 375RUM using this bullet should be able to ballisticly match a 338 edge and deliver more energy at any distance.

IMG_02371.jpg
IMG_02381.jpg

Last edited:
Australia has tons of Ferrel camels and donkeys. There are million acre ranches you can go pop as many donkey and camels as you want.

Feral camel.... that made me chuckle. Just got me by surprise. Do you.... eat it?

Thanks for the report, very interesting. I love reading bullet reviews. That's very surprising it didnt even exit the neck, even if you hit the spine, i would have expected something (either bone or bullet) to exit.

What muzzle brake is that? I like it.

Feral camel.... that made me chuckle. Just got me by surprise. Do you.... eat it?

Haha! You would not believe how much a camel cost in Iraq or Afghanistan. In American dollars they run "if I remember right" $25,000. I'd rather ride a goat.

la! la! la! la! la!
-RiP

Well, another first @ LRH.com:D

Good report. One of these days, weeks or months, I'll be hearing about my 375 AM.

No camels here but there's a bunch of feral lookin' lamas up the road that need a good use.:)

Let's see: Some red, white and black pepper, celery, onions and bell pepper. Season the roast well, very well. Put it on a piece of local hardwood and bake at 425 for a couple of hours to a center temp of 145*F. Remove from oven, toss the roast and eat the board.:D

Let's see: Some red, white and black pepper, celery, onions and bell pepper. Season the roast well, very well. Put it on a piece of local hardwood and bake at 425 for a couple of hours to a center temp of 145*F. Remove from oven, toss the roast and eat the board.:D

I know a very similar and equally tasty recipe for cooking carp :D

The muzzle brake is a F50 made by RL Fisher. It was originally designed for 50BMG rifles. It is one of the most effcient brakes ive ever seen and VERY effective at reducing recoil but the down side is you get absolutely covered in **** (dust, dirt, grass etc) when shooting prone. The recoil feels less than a 308win...

Yes many feral camels in australia, est population just over 1million and growing at 10% per annum.... big environmental disaster and declared pest so we can cull as many as we like...

whos with me lets go to australia to pop some camels at long range:D
it would be nice to have something like that around here to test bullets in but then again they would try to make a season and charge us to kill them. Its all about the $$$$. Oh well.
Anyway good shooting and thanks for the info on the 350s

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.