25 06

117 Sierra GK over IMR4350 or RL22. Both have always produced good groups in several different rifles. I used 115BTs in my 257Roy. I'm sure they would work good also on the 06.

With my Ruger #! 25-06 used two powers with out standing results on Mule ,Blacktail deer and Pigs with 120 gr Partitions.

Power 4064 40 gr at 2850 FPS and 49831 48.0 gr 2875FPS

Sub moa out to 250 yards. All one shot kills great results.

I have been hunting with the 25-06 for 30+ years. I have used many bullets, including the Sierra 117g GK with very good results, but most have been with Nosler 100g BT, 110g Accubond and my personal favourite the 115g Partition. I don't really shoot passed 400 with this cartridge, but hits are fairly easy with a 24" drop at 400. This can be stretched to 500, but 600 is about max with those bullet weights. I get 3267fps out of a 115g Partition and for some reason they perform better than the 120g Partition for me.

Cheers.
I used 120 Nosler SP.BT in my 25/06 for years Good to 500yds easy. The only thing is you can't get them any longer. Why they drop that grainage I dont know. I Tried Partiton in 100gr when I started using the 25/06. It blood shoted the entire one side of the deer. Never went back to partition again. The BC is better in the BT & AB bullets anyway.

What twist and barrel length? If it's a factory rifle it's probably going to be a 10tw.

I LOVE the 115vld's in my 10tw.
Retumbo is your friend if you have enough barrel to burn it! 55gr should be a low and safe starting point but do your own research. 3200fps is pretty easy to achieve with retumbo. 25-06rem is definitely "overbore" and does well with slower burning powers. In my experience the book data on most 25-06 loads are very conservative and with a 26" barrel the 25-06 comes alive.

Head stamped 25-06 brass is hit or miss as far as quality goes and a lot of people find that necking down 270win gives you access to higher quality brass.

Nosler has become junk from some accounts and not worth buying. Norma 270win brass necked down is pretty good. Peterson 270win brass is really good. And RWS 270win brass is arguably the best but hard to find.

I've pushed the 115vld's pretty hard with great results. They are very good at killing things!
I'll second the opinion on Nosler brass. It used to be one of the best; however, I had 3 case head "failures on the 3rd loading. There was no complete separation but actual fissures with black smudges around them. I scrapped the whole bunch and have gone back to Lapa. For the, 25-06, I'll continue to neck down Lapua 30-06. I've been doing that since I started loading for it in the mud 70's

I have 2 25-06's. A Ruger no 1AH with a 24" barrel and a Winchester 70 with a 25" Hart 1-8 twist. I've shot a few deer with the no 1 using Accurate Magpro and 120 grain remington psp coreloks. It might be a plain vanilla bullet, but out of my no 1, they group at 1" @ a hundred, and they do as good of a job at killing deer as you could ask for. My winchester 70, I had rebarreled to a 1-8 hart specifically to shoot the 116 grain hammer. After much frustration, I finally figured out the combination and it is shooting at 1 1/4" groups @ 200 yards, so I'm well satisfied. This year will be its maiden voyage to Michigan for a weeks hunt in the U.P. I have no reason to believe it won't perform as expected.

the 110 accubond is going to be hard to beat from standard twist barrels. It penetrates, it expands, and it shuts off the main breaker in a big hurry. Look hard enough and they can be found.
It is also a very accurate bullet, in my experience it prints more like something labeled as "match" or "target" on paper and steel.

Last edited:
Over the decades, I have used numerous bullet weights, styles and brands in the 25's, and most all have performed well (Excluding the old 85 Barnes X which gave unreliable expansion), but the last few years, I use the 110gr NAB for most larger game, and the 80gr TTSX for shorter ranges when I want speed (3,800+fps). The 85gr NBT is still one of my all time favorites for longer range varmints with the TNT for shorter and explosive work.

Years ago, I loved using the old Nosler 120gr Solid Base for longer range deer and antelope sized game. And while I still have 3 boxes of those old great bullets along with many others, the 110NAB now dominates my 25 cal loads.

In case i ever run out, how would you grade that eld-x against the accubond? Thinking if i had to change id give hammer a shot.
Consider yourself lucky if you have a good inventory of the 110gr Accubonds. I would probably still be using them if I could find any; however, I am out, can't find any and had to move on. To your question, I haven't shot any Whitetails yet with the ELD-X (this will be my first hunting season to use them); however they match and exceed the accuracy and velocity (in my specific reload recipe) as the Accubonds. However, haven't shot a deer yet with the ELD-X so hopefully I will have an answer in a few months. Thanks

the 110 accubond is going to be hard to beat from standard twist barrels. It penetrates, it expands, and it shuts off the main breaker in a big hurry. Look hard enough and they can be found.
Thanks for the information on the Accubonds and I agree with you. If you have any information on where the 110gr Accubonds can be found please share. I have checked all my suppliers and also new ones and they are almost extinct and cannot be back ordered. I've loaded up some 110gr ELD-X's for deer season this year so I will see how these perform in the meantime. Thanks

I still cling to thin hope that one day Nosler releases some 125 gr BT and AB.
Absolutely, that would be awesome and I would buy several boxes--especially if they were ABLR. I got the itch and bought a 28 Nosler Browning Hells Canyon 2 years ago for an elk gun (it's on my bucket list one day)--way too much for whitetails where I hunt. I loaded up some 175 ABLR in that caliber and I have been very pleased with them in terms of accuracy and velocity and I'm sure they would be awesome for elk when I get to go one day. Thanks for the information.