25-06 barrel

Matthewbrwn04

My uncle gave me his old Remington 700 25-06 but it needs a new barrel. I will manly use this for deer/coyote hunting when I will have to do a lot of walking and make some what long range (300-500yd) shots. That being said, I want the gun to be light but still accurate. Instead of going with a factory barrel from Remington, I was thinking about putting a proof Research carbon wrapped barrel on it. Does anyone have any experience with these barrels? And what diameter barrel do I need for a 25-06? .264?
Thanks

.257 cal is for a 25-06.
From what I've heard proof are great barrels. They cost a lot more than a quality steel barrel though.
I would line up a gunsmith and make sure everything is in order before you start buying parts. Carbon barrels have a large diameter so a slender stock with a sporter barrel most likely will have to be replaced by a varmit/target style stock to accommodate the larger barrel.

Keeping it light and re-using your stock look at the Sendero light. Check with Proof and see about getting a 7" twist. That is the twist that the .25 bore needs to be on par with the .264 cal. We did a 7" twist on a 257 Weatherby and designed a 128g bullet for it. Makes the bigger 1/4 bores a legit 700-800 yard hunting rifle.

Oh yea, the Proof barrels are as good as it gets. IMHO

Steve

I built a 25-06 Ackley Improved with a 27" Bartlein same diameter as a regular Remington sporter. Got 257 Weatherby velocity in a very easy to shoot rifle. Combine that with the Sierra 100 MK & you have a very serious coyote rifle that should have no problem with distance out to 800.
Thanks, Kirk

Glad to hear you have an old remmy 25-06! I am still shooing, the action at least, from one of the first Remington 25-06 built in 1969. You should check your serial # and see what vintage yours is? Mine is on its 4th barrel and is now a 338 Sherman.
You have some good advice above or could build one of my wildcats if it interests you. Good luck with your build.... Rich

I've owned two 25/06's since the mid eighty's . Great caliber. I recently re-barreled one with a JC Custom 27" SS 1/9 twist heavy barrel. Very accurate and as Catahoula stated great velocity. I own a 257 Wea Vanguard with a 24" tube and my 25/06 is with in 50 to 75 ft/sec.

That's good velocity with a 128 gr bullet. My 25-06 AI with 115 Bergers runs 3350 fps out of a 26" Krieger. I agree that being careful on what you buy. A proof barrel isn't going to fit in your stock. A #3 or #4 May work though. Might need to remove some stock material.

That's good velocity with a 128 gr bullet. My 25-06 AI with 115 Bergers runs 3350 fps out of a 26" Krieger. I agree that being careful on what you buy. A proof barrel isn't going to fit in your stock. A #3 or #4 May work though. Might need to remove some stock material.
Not positive, but thought the Sendero lite would work with some in letting.

Steve

Bartlein or Proof are both good barrels. I also recommend rebarrling it to a 26" .25-06 AI with the 40º shoulder. You can buy dies for it over the counter, and you get a slight bump in performance bringing it to within 100 FPS of the .257 Weatherby. But the main advantage is the design and case shape of the AI, which has a very low wall taper, and a 40º shoulder. It is a better design over the standard .25-06 Rem case shape with the high wall taper and the very low-angled shoulder.

http://www.brunoshooters.com/product/13915.html

I use cheap .270 Win brass to form for mine. Back when brass was really hard to find (around 2013/2014), I picked up 200 pieces of once-fired Winchester .270 brass for less than $40 shipped, and I've still got 100 of them sealed in the bag. It takes a while to wear-out AI brass as long as you don't run it too hard.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.