25-06 barrel length?

25-06 Lilja

1.) How much improvement is there between a 26" barrel over a 24" barrel? (25-06 Rem.)

2.) Which brand and weight bullet is best for 200 lb whitetail deer at 50 to 300 yards? (25-06 Rem.)

I don't reload so I will be using factory ammo.

Thanks.

It really depends on the actual individual barrel as to how much velocity difference between 24" and 26" barrels. On average a 26" will give you 100 to 150 fps more velocity depending on the powder used.

For really good store bought ammo for deer thumping with a 25-06 Federal Premium has two loads. One is loaded with the 117 Sierra Game King and the other is loaded with the 115 Nosler Partition. Both will get-er-done really well.

I also see that Winchester Supreme offers a round loaded with the Nosler 110 Accubond bullet for the 25-06. I have not used this bullet yet in my 25-06 but did use the Accubond 130 gr in my 264 Win mag this deer season to shoot 4 deer and it really did a great job. I bet it would do great in the 25-06 also.
Winchester also has a 115 gr Nosler ballistic Silvertip load that I have seen others use with great results on deer.

I hand load the 117 Sierra Pro hunter for my 25-06 for deer. My rifle does not like boat tail bullets like the Game King but will shoot lights out with the flat base Pro Hunter for some reason. I have killed some deer with the 115 Nosler Partition but they did not kill any better than the Sierra and the Sierra is MUCH cheaper. Both will drop a deer in it's tracks 99% of the time if you put one in the center of the front shoulder. Sight your rifle to hit 3 inches high at 100 yards and all you have to do is aim in the center of a deers front shoulder out to right at 350 yards and you will kill it. The bullet will not rise or fall over 4 inches from muzzle out to 350 yards.

My experience with barrel length is generally about 35-40' per inch. There are a lot of good bullet options out there. For three hundred yards, I would pick what is the most accurate of some of the previously mentioned.......Rich

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.