.25-06 barrel twist rate

Canvsbk

I'm going to have a new barrel spun on my .25-06. My intentions are to go AI same caliber and I would like it to shoot Nosler 110 Accubonds for pronghorn. Any suggestions as to twist? Thanks!

LRH,

I'm looking to re-invigorate this thread. My dad has an Enfield 30-06 that is officially shot out. You can't even hit the sky with it if you were shooting out of an airplane. Anyway, my dad has hit the sentimental state of life and he wants me to redo the rifle, but he wants a smaller caliber; hence I'm pretty set on building him a 25-06. Now, my dad is going to want to shoot coyotes and hogs, but I'm sure I will end up with the rifle and I might want to use it for deer and occasional pronghorn as well.

I'm looking for some insight here on what twist rate to order. My dad is going to shoot cheap 100-120 grain ammo, whatever he can buy from wal-mart, and I would think a 1-10" would be fine for that. However, I expect this rifle to be in the family for a long time (yes I realize an Enfield isn't the greatest rifle to build on, that's not the point), so the question is:

Does anyone think manufacturers will ever come out with heavier, longer .25 cal bullets loaded on box ammo? AKA does anyone see a reason for me to order a faster twist barrel? I have heard that over twisting bullets can cause the bullets to blow-up on impact, however I always somewhat assumed that only applied to "hollow point type" bullets. Do any of you see significant negative consequences to be speeding up the twist rate on my barrel, if I end up always shooting cheap 100, 117, or 120 grain cor-lokt type bullets?

As always I appreciate your insight.

God Bless,
Colton

LRH,

I'm looking to re-invigorate this thread. My dad has an Enfield 30-06 that is officially shot out. You can't even hit the sky with it if you were shooting out of an airplane. Anyway, my dad has hit the sentimental state of life and he wants me to redo the rifle, but he wants a smaller caliber; hence I'm pretty set on building him a 25-06. Now, my dad is going to want to shoot coyotes and hogs, but I'm sure I will end up with the rifle and I might want to use it for deer and occasional pronghorn as well.

I'm looking for some insight here on what twist rate to order. My dad is going to shoot cheap 100-120 grain ammo, whatever he can buy from wal-mart, and I would think a 1-10" would be fine for that. However, I expect this rifle to be in the family for a long time (yes I realize an Enfield isn't the greatest rifle to build on, that's not the point), so the question is:

Does anyone think manufacturers will ever come out with heavier, longer .25 cal bullets loaded on box ammo? AKA does anyone see a reason for me to order a faster twist barrel? I have heard that over twisting bullets can cause the bullets to blow-up on impact, however I always somewhat assumed that only applied to "hollow point type" bullets. Do any of you see significant negative consequences to be speeding up the twist rate on my barrel, if I end up always shooting cheap 100, 117, or 120 grain cor-lokt type bullets?

As always I appreciate your insight.

God Bless,
Colton
I would get an 8-8.5 if I were you.
New higher b c bullets are coming available and then there are some good monos that need more twist

I would get an 8-8.5 if I were you.
New higher b c bullets are coming available and then there are some good monos that need more twist
elkaholic,

Thank you for your thoughts. What are the consequences (if any) of "excessively stabilizing" bullets? Let me explain. I started this conversation because I thought "one day" I might want to take this rig pronghorn hunting and shoot 120+ grain bullets, so I might go with an 8 twist as you mentioned. If I go 8 twist and shoot a box of 75 grain varmint rounds on a coyote hunt, will the bullet explode vs penetrate? I've heard this before and I have no idea if it is true of not. Maybe this question is stupid, but I've never built or owned a rifle like this that I hope to use such a wide range of bullets, most of the time my rifles are very purpose built.

Thanks,

CTL

Mine is an eight twist. Shoots 120G great. Berger coming out w/ a 133 Elite. At the time, Pacnor only offered 8 twist. Your choice, same price whether 10 or 8 twist. Shoots Sierras 120 BTHP and Speers SBT exactly the same. Sierra discontinued though. Waiting on the Bergers

elkaholic,

Thank you for your thoughts. What are the consequences (if any) of "excessively stabilizing" bullets? Let me explain. I started this conversation because I thought "one day" I might want to take this rig pronghorn hunting and shoot 120+ grain bullets, so I might go with an 8 twist as you mentioned. If I go 8 twist and shoot a box of 75 grain varmint rounds on a coyote hunt, will the bullet explode vs penetrate? I've heard this before and I have no idea if it is true of not. Maybe this question is stupid, but I've never built or owned a rifle like this that I hope to use such a wide range of bullets, most of the time my rifles are very purpose built.

Thanks,

CTL
It won't hurt you on the light bullets nearly as much as it will help you with the heavies. Over spinning bullets which are not concentric can hurt accuracy but is more a bench rest concern and most bullets today are pretty good.
We shoot 7-7.5 twist in my 25 sst's and they shoot great.

I shoot a 1:7.5" in my 25SST too. The 131 BJ @ 3238fps is amazing, and the 115 HVLD shoots phenomenally well too @ 3388fps. No need to shoot anything lighter in my opinion. Even for coyotes, the 115-131s are MURDER.

Thank you everyone. I just looked at my preferred barrel manufacturers website and he offers 1-7, 1-9, 1-10, and slower. Sounds like the consensus is 1-7", even if I shoot lighter bullets at varmints (90-100 grains)? Stack hands?

Again thank you very much for all the input,

CTL