25-06 factory barrel question

That's the reason I don't own any rifles that haven't had a custom barrel installed (except the collectable/semi-collectables that reside in one of the safes. And I don't remember the last time I fired one of those!) Anything you do to the bore is on you, Welderboy. There's no magic fix. Good barrels begin in the 'factory' they are made in, not as an after thought. I'm never surprised at what I see come "off-the-shelf" with Remington/Winchester/Ruger/whatever stamped on them.

Aye Sir, well said.

Guys, I didn't start this thread to complain about a factory built rifle. I know they are far from the quality and craftsmanship of a custom built rifle. I thought this forum was to help newbies with issues they might have.

I understand that barrels have some tooling marks. I just hadn't seen one this bad before now and was asking if I could remove them.

If this barrel would of been on the rifle the day I bought it, I would have past on it also. It's the barrel they replaced the bad barrel with.

I apologize if my first post came across as a complaint. I was only giving a little history. The company had a bad barrel and they replaced it. No complaints.

Welcome to the forum. Any fuel that Savage supporters or anti-remington people can use to hate on Remington, they will sniff it out, and use it to try to turn people from buying Remington's (I've witnessed it a lot in real life, too)...

They will also at every turn try to convince you that Remingtons are garbage and you should sell all of yours to buy Savages or Weatherbys, or full-customs...

You just have to learn to ignore the negative bullcrap. If you like Remingtons, keep shooting them and ignore the negative comments, because everyone has an opinion, and they are entitled to it, just like you are entitled to your's.

I seem to recall Savage with a barrel with the same issues...

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f19/difference-between-savage-tikka-barrel-116983/

Here's an aftermarket Shillen barrel with they same issues...

https://www.ar15.com/archive/topic.html?b=6&f=49&t=408642

And I had a Weatherby Accumark with a bad barrel from the factory... So, it's definitely not just a Remington problem.

How did we get here from there? :(

If you read the revised version of my post, you will see that it was a post pointing out that this incident is not an isolated one.

And also, because when a post about a Remington having a problem is made, it's like a drop of blood in the water...The sharks will be along shortly.

If you read the revised version of my post, you will see that it was a post pointing out that this incident is not an isolated one.

And also, because when a post about a Remington having a problem is made, it's like a drop of blood in the water...The sharks will be along shortly.

I don't see anyone disputing that.

I don't see anyone disputing that.

Now that we're on the same page, you see it was not a post taking jabs at anyone. It was just stating what I've seen happen on here pretty much every time a post about a Remington has been made.

I mean, I get it (to a point)... Remington 700 is the old tried & true, but it's "old-school" and they may not be the most modernized or progressive rifles. And Savage is the new hip cool thing to buy because it's "DIY". So I understand that aspect of it, but I just don't understand all the animosity towards Remington and how it's an immediate shark pool of negativity when other brands have had severe issues over the years, too. It's like Remington is the 1 brand that everyone absolutely loves to hate. And I just don't understand it...

I think everybody are on the same page. Shortgrass puts it best in #14, "quality begins at the factory".

Definitely no disputing that one. I agree completely, and I do think that Remington needs to step-up their game a bit on their barrels. Whatever they do on their 5R barrels, they need to do on ALL of their barrels, and it would completely turn their reputation around.

I don't think it's a secret that all "off the shelf" companys could improve on there manufacturer and QC department.

I think that the reason why Remingtons catch so much slack from the older members on here, is because they remember that back in the 70s and 80s, Remington was the talk of the town. If you had a rem 700 you had the best. Now there products have gone down hill in quality and craftsmanship. They know that Remington could do so much better but won't because they sale them everyday. If enuff people stop buying them, sales go down and they will be forced to up there game.

Any how, I took my extra clean, tooled up barreled rifle back to the range today. It took 9 rounds to get the groups back to under .3". So I'm gonna leave well enuff alone and put this rifle in the " shoot well fouled" category. I have 2 new pac-nor barrels in the safe but they are for other builds. After I have them built and more funds, I'll get it rebarreled.

Definitely no disputing that one. I agree completely, and I do think that Remington needs to step-up their game a bit on their barrels. Whatever they do on their 5R barrels, they need to do on ALL of their barrels, and it would completely turn their reputation around.

I agree....I was typing my last post when Mudrunner posted his.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.