.25-06 Barrel Questions

blong

I am getting ready to send my .30-06 rifle off to be rebarreled to a .25-06. I plan on using 110 - 120 grain bullets, and I was wondering if anyone had input on the following questions:

1) What barrel length would you recommend? I was planning on going with a 23" or 24" barrel.

2) What twist would you recommend?

3) There are options for 3,4,5 or 6 groove barrels. Not really sure what that means. Which would be the best of these?

Thanks for your help!

Go with at least 26 inches and you pick up anothe 50 fps and forget the 25 and make it 270. I have never been impressed with 25-06. They have a lower BC on the bullets and the 115-120's really can't get that much speed.

The 10:1 is a good twist. I've read all the pro/cons of the 3-6. I would read up as much as you can find. I always have bought the set of barrel lapping bullets to break the barrel in.

Really put some thought into the caliber. 6.5 .277 .284 can all use your 30-06 cases and RCBS has the dies.

The 10" twist works well for me up to 115 gr, but best accuracy is achieved with the 100 gr bullets with this twist in my opinion(this is factory twist on all 25-06's that I am aware of) <font color="black"> </font> . Pac-nor makes a 1 in 9" that you can go to the wildcat bullets that Kirby Allen can refer you towards...he posts under the name fiftydriver. I wouldn't go with anything less than a 26" barrel in the 25-06. Anything less and you will lose your advantage over 257 Roberts. I personally would try a 3 groove barrel, but my current 5 groove is shooting well. Try H4831SC powder and the 100gr SMK and NBT if you opt for the 1 in 10" twist, and you should be impressed if the rebarrel is done well, and you do your part. Good luck, and what part of Kansas are you from?

Blong,
I have the Remington Sendero SF in .25-06. It has the 26" barrel and personally I wouldn't want anything shorter. I like this style of rifle though. Most manufactorers don't go less than 24" for the .25-06 and the standard twist is 1-10". I would be willing to try a 1-9" if I were ever to replace my barrel. As far as the groove configuration goes, I always thought they were equally accurate but not sure of the advantages of either. It seems (in my mind) the less the number of grooves the less fouling. Good luck with your fine choice of calibers. Johnny Kennedy

I have a thin taper lilja barrel with 1/10 twist. It's a light wieght rifle for back pack hunting, hence a 24" barrel. Absent light wieght considerations, I'd go for a longer barrel. I finally got a barnes bullet to group. The 115 grn. triple shock prints under an inch for me. no recoil. Ideal for my use: Black tails within 400 yds.

I would recomend a 26" or more depending on your use. My Ruger KMVT is a real jewel shoots 75 gr Vmax at 3900 and has killed rockchucks at 663yds.H414powder and fed Gm215prmers,Berger 115 vld bullets and VHITN165 powder will push 3300fps for a long range chuck load.The BC is 522 at sea level however at 11000 ft it appears to be much greater as it only requires 19 moa to put it on at1200 yds from a 300 yd zero.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.