25-06 factory barrel question

Welderboy11972

Hello guys, last year I picked up a 25-06 LR. After trying to find a good load I found out that the chamber wasn't square with the bore. I sent it back to Remington and they put a new barrel on it. They sent it back 2 weeks before Va rifle season so I had little time to work up a great load. Found a load that would hold me over till I had more time for load development. Well I've had time in the last few months and found a load that was above great. ( sub .3-.4" @ 100). I couldn't figure out why the barrel would copper foul in just a few rounds. This morning I was cleaning it and found my problem. There is very bad, looks like cross cuts in the bore. My question is can I polish these out with something? I can't believe it shooting like it does with the barrel in that shape.

I'll try to post a pic if you can see what I'm talking about.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2016-05-04-14-13-37.jpg
    Screenshot_2016-05-04-14-13-37.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 136
Yep, you can. Those are just tooling marks from the manufacturing process.

You should be able to hand-lap the bore. My smith does that for me, so I have no personal experience with the process itself, but I do know that it can be done, and that it works. I have also heard of folks using something called JB's Bore Paste (I believe that's correct). Maybe someone else can comment who has used it.

Thanks Mudrunner, I was using the JB polish (red) is how I found the the tooling marks. I was in shock and started to cus alittle. I've been doing so reading up on it and it sounds like it'll take a while using the JB. Wonder if fire lapping then finished up with JB would be a better way to go.

Thanks Mudrunner, I was using the JB polish (red) is how I found the the tooling marks. I was in shock and started to cus alittle. I've been doing so reading up on it and it sounds like it'll take a while using the JB. Wonder if fire lapping then finished up with JB would be a better way to go.

Good call, I forgot about the David Tubbs fire-lapping bullets. I bet that will work even faster. Several guys here on the forum have used them with promising results.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/870145/tubb-final-finish-bore-lapping-system-25-caliber

What was your load you found? I have a buddy that picked up a 700 ADL SS in 25-06 for super cheap. He's looking for a load.

I'm loading 115gr VLD seated .027 off the lands (.025 & .030 was both about .750"), 60.5 gr Retumbo ( start lower and work your way up), avg mv is 3410fps.

Welder, using the same bullet and powder in a friend's 24" Savage. Best load we've found by far. My son is trying the Tubbs FF this weekend in a .270 he bought that shoots all over the place.

Keep me posted on how the Tubbs works out. I'm going to run some more JB though it tomorrow. Maybe alot of elbow grease will help it.

I load for my son's savage axis 25-06. It really liked h-4831SC and the 100 gr NBTs. It will show you .5" groups all day long. He does alot of ground hog control in Va for local farmers. Lol...he told me the other day on the phone that he needed a bigger scope. That 400 yards was about max for his 3×9 that came on it when I bought. I'm glad he's almost grown...lol..his toys are getting pricey.

We had the same issue with a 25-06 in a 700 cdl! Could not get it to group better than 1.5" for 3 shot groups at 100 yards. Put pillars in, had it bedded, finally took it to a smith to bore scope and the first 6" of rifling was washed out on the bottom of the barrel because it didn't match. Had Remington put a new barrel on it, stuff it with h4831 and 110 accubonds and it is just a hammer now. 3100 fps and will group 1" or better at 300. It doesn't like to shoot 5 shot groups with the thin barrel but it is a killer shooting cold bore.

3400+ fps!? I am going to have to play with retumbo.

I don't know what people expect of factory barrels. They're all made to meet a price point. They're not the same as a custom and not priced the same, either. They're not lapped to remove any tool marks or for 'consistancy'. I've seen many factory barrels that look the same as the pic that was posted, that's not at all uncommon. Some factory barrels/rifles shoot OK, some don't, regardless of the brand. If factory barrels/rifles shot as well as custom rifles/barrels and had a "baby butt smooth" bores that didn't foul, there'd be no custom barrel makers. You didn't buy a custom 'target rifle'.

I don't know what people expect of factory barrels. They're all made to meet a price point. They're not the same as a custom and not priced the same, either. They're not lapped to remove any tool marks or for 'consistancy'. I've seen many factory barrels that look the same as the pic that was posted, that's not at all uncommon. Some factory barrels/rifles shoot OK, some don't, regardless of the brand. If factory barrels/rifles shot as well as custom rifles/barrels and had a "baby butt smooth" bores that didn't foul, there'd be no custom barrel makers. You didn't buy a custom 'target rifle'.

I know what you mean but if I see one like that, "I" will never buy it, regardless who makes them, esp. when I have many choices to choose from ... but that's just me.

[ame]https://youtu.be/hf9zZqn00CA?t=8[/ame]

Guys, I didn't start this thread to complain about a factory built rifle. I know they are far from the quality and craftsmanship of a custom built rifle. I thought this forum was to help newbies with issues they might have.

I understand that barrels have some tooling marks. I just hadn't seen one this bad before now and was asking if I could remove them.

If this barrel would of been on the rifle the day I bought it, I would have past on it also. It's the barrel they replaced the bad barrel with.

I apologize if my first post came across as a complaint. I was only giving a little history. The company had a bad barrel and they replaced it. No complaints.

I know what you mean but if I see one like that, "I" will never buy it, regardless who makes them, esp. when I have many choices to choose from ... but that's just me.

https://youtu.be/hf9zZqn00CA?t=8
That's the reason I don't own any rifles that haven't had a custom barrel installed (except the collectable/semi-collectables that reside in one of the safes. And I don't remember the last time I fired one of those!) Anything you do to the bore is on you, Welderboy. There's no magic fix. Good barrels begin in the 'factory' they are made in, not as an after thought. I'm never surprised at what I see come "off-the-shelf" with Remington/Winchester/Ruger/whatever stamped on them.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.