25-06 factory barrel question

I agree....I was typing my last post when Mudrunner posted his.

I am one of the biggest Rem 700 guys on this forum, and I've butted heads with most of these guys in the past about it. But I will admit when there is a problem, and their barrels are a problem. Granted, I do see a lot more that DO shoot, than don't...But on the internet you see a lot of incidents that point to the fact there is obviously a problem.

All of mine shoots lights-out, but I did have one used one I bought that wouldn't group a pie pan at 100 yards, and it was a .338 WinMag. It got rebarreled to a 7mm RemMag very quickly.

I am also a big fan of the Remington 700's. Over the years, between my dad and me, we have bought 5 in different calibers. The 25-06 is the only we have had any problem with and Remington made it right without much argument. It shoots as good as can be expected from a factory, hammer forged barrel. It is my go to for anything deer/antelope sized.

I've examined many Remington barrels made in various years of production of the Model 700. It is NOT unusual to find a bore in any caliber that looks like the one pictured in this thread, some even worse. I think the Rem. 700 was the "top of the line" in the past was because their major competitor was so bad! As for the 5R barrels, I don't know it as fact, but I'd assume those barrels are made by an outside contractor. Remington has never made barrels, "in house", that are completely free of tool marks, like the 5R when viewed through the bore scope. These same 'myths' follow the 700 action, itself. The newer CNC made actions that I've worked with are far straighter than the pre-CNC made actions. But, the myth says the complete opposite. In this case, I belive newer is better and Remington will continue to produce barrels the way they have for years. It's all about the bottom line. And that "bottom line" will shrink if more work has to be put into each rifle to improve quality. Which in turn will raise the price, allowing for fewer buyers. Price drives sales numbers. Sales numbers are directly related to the 'bottom line'.

I've examined many Remington barrels made in various years of production of the Model 700. It is NOT unusual to find a bore in any caliber that looks like the one pictured in this thread, some even worse. I think the Rem. 700 was the "top of the line" in the past was because their major competitor was so bad! As for the 5R barrels, I don't know it as fact, but I'd assume those barrels are made by an outside contractor. Remington has never made barrels, "in house", that are completely free of tool marks, like the 5R when viewed through the bore scope. These same 'myths' follow the 700 action, itself. The newer CNC made actions that I've worked with are far straighter than the pre-CNC made actions. But, the myth says the complete opposite. In this case, I belive newer is better and Remington will continue to produce barrels the way they have for years. It's all about the bottom line. And that "bottom line" will shrink if more work has to be put into each rifle to improve quality. Which in turn will raise the price, allowing for fewer buyers. Price drives sales numbers. Sales numbers are directly related to the 'bottom line'.

The 5R barrels are built on the same 416R 5R blanks that the M24 barrels are... So, whoever makes those for Remington is whoever makes the 5R barrels.

If Rem would start having them build all their barrels with the 5R rifled 416R blanks, then an SPS might be worth a price jump to around $750...Because it would be a good shooter. The Senderos would finally be worth their price they are, etc...

The 5R barrels are built on the same 416R 5R blanks that the M24 barrels are... So, whoever makes those for Remington is whoever makes the 5R barrels.

If Rem would start having them build all their barrels with the 5R rifled 416R blanks, then an SPS might be worth a price jump to around $750...Because it would be a good shooter. The Senderos would finally be worth their price they are, etc...
And then how much would sales of the SPS decline because fewer could afford one? It's all about VOLUME! Increase the cost of any component of that factory rifle and the sales price increases, also. Business 101,,, the botttom line decides for you if stay in business or not. If you can't sell eonough rifles because they're priced beyond what the average guy is willing to pay the bottom line will tell you that you are no longer in business.

And then how much would sales of the SPS decline because fewer could afford one? It's all about VOLUME! Increase the cost of any component of that factory rifle and the sales price increases, also. Business 101,,, the botttom line decides for you if stay in business or not. If you can't sell eonough rifles because they're priced beyond what the average guy is willing to pay the bottom line will tell you that you are no longer in business.

You're right. My personal opinion is that the SPS would finally be worth the $550 they are after they put the 5R barrels on them. Personally I don't think they're worth the $550 with the current CHF carbon steel barrels. Compare the SPS barrel quality and rifle price with the Tikka rifles/barrels. The Tikka barrels look fully lapped and properly finished, and look at the accuracy they achieve...And I'm not even a Tikka fan, but every picture of a Tikka barrel I've seen was properly finished and lapped. But that's my personal opinion. I was only stating the price increase because that's how it would go down. They increase the quality, so the price follows suit. You know what I'm saying.

I am one of the biggest Rem 700 guys on this forum, and I've butted heads with most of these guys in the past about it. But I will admit when there is a problem, and their barrels are a problem. Granted, I do see a lot more that DO shoot, than don't...But on the internet you see a lot of incidents that point to the fact there is obviously a problem.

All of mine shoots lights-out, but I did have one used one I bought that wouldn't group a pie pan at 100 yards, and it was a .338 WinMag. It got rebarreled to a 7mm RemMag very quickly.

I like the part that says...."But on the internet". mtmuley

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.