2022 Best Range Finder for ELR?

For 2K yards? Not sure if you are going to get there for $500-600.
My Leica 1600b does good out to 1600ish.
My G7BR2 does good out there too.
But the new BR4 is good for WAY past 2k, but not even close to your budget.

Just realize, if the rangefinder states 2k max yardage, that is on a reflective surface. Not rocks/trees/game.
And most do not perform at the yardages they claim.

I agree with this. The Revic BR4 is not in the stated price range but for the serious ELR shooter/hunter I think it should be considered. Mine ranges at 2000 yards with the same ease that any of the other usual suspects I've owned or used do at 500-1000 yards on non-reflective targets. It's on-board ballistics capability, along with it's speed/ease of operation well complements its ELR ranging performance. IMO.

Last edited:
I bought the CRF 2800.COM to get me to a mile and still be practical for hunting. Not quite 2k, but I think it would probably do it. I also bought it for it's ability to link with a Kestrel and because it probably has better glass than most of the others on the list that will also link. Just what I went with.

Looks as if you may have to wait a few years before $$$$$$ they come down to your pocket price range !!!!! Ranging steel plates is one thing , shooting game is another especially if ( ITS ONE SHOT ONE KILL )🤨

The most recent thread I could find was 2015.... and here we are 7 years later, so I ask the question.....

What is the best Range Finder for ELR shooting, out to 2,000 yards?

Here are a few that I found in my price range.

Leupold RX-2800 TBR
Vortex Optics Razor HD 4000
Nikon Laser 50
Sig Sauer Kilo 2200 BDX

Anyone have any experience with these or do you have a better suggestion. My max budget is $500-$600, but would like to be closer to $400 if possible.
I've bought and tried the Leupold, Nikon, and used a buddy's Sig. Traded the Leupold back to my local dealer and bought a Leica CFR2400. None of them even came close to the performance I get out of the Leica. Sold the Nikon at a gun show.
Better glass and clear target images, for better readings on ranging off of none ideal reflective objects like
trees, brush, and dirt hillsides. Works far better than others in less than ideal air conditions like snow, fog, light rain. The Leica will even give me reading off the furry side of a Coyote or Elk.
Try that with the others and see what you get! Test them on Range Cattle or other livestock and see the results. My Leica gives me reading off more reflective targets greater than 2400 yrds. Get one and you won't be sorry, Cost $550.00.

Look at the Leica CRF2800. Midway has one for $550. I've ran the Nikon and sig. You'll love it. Should hit the 2k spots pretty quick and easy

If it hasnt been mentioned, take a look at the maven. Furthest I have ranged with mine is 4052 yards.

Leupold 2800. First ranges out of the box 2912 and 3020. Consistently ranges to 2700 and then some.7x optic You can tune it to your rifle caliber and get MOA to 800 when you range. I got mine on Optic Planet for $444 a couple of years ago and the glass is super. Very well worth a try. my son has the Leica and this seems to be every bit as good.

Wild.jpeg.jpg
Great glass, accurate past 15 miles and in your price range if you pick it up.....she's a got some age and hasnt got any lighter.

I knew a person that was a Really Great shooter at 1K and ELR. Won a lot of State Competitions, Chambered his own barrels well over 70 years ago with WWII machine Lathes. I learned from him to chamber rifles.
He loved to hunt/fish/trap. I can remember that he purchased a Range Finder that weighed about 30 lbs (more of a box and long tube as I can remember) that came from Russia. I do not know how he purchased it or where it came from (RUSSIA??) but cost a small fortune remember his brothers in their business complaining on the money he was spending on building rifles (they had a family construction business). Took two people to set it up the RF when he went on a hunt for Elk. He would shoot across a Cayon at well over 1,500 yards to harvest a Bull. I remember one time that he shot and missed by 6' to the left at 1,500yds. WIND - Correct elevation with the Russian RF. but had to correct with the wind. Second shot hit the Bull in the boiler room.
Back then no one even knew what a Range Finder was let alone own and use one!
Love that picture from MackV. Would like to know the model along with a description and history on owning it!
Thanks
Len& Jill

Thank you all for the great feedback. Just got home from 8 days down in Tucson on vacation, so sorry for my absence from this thread.

I have decided to give this one a go......

Leica Rangemaster CRF 2400-R Compact Laser Rangefinder

$550