Best "RANGE FINDER" under $200.-- Question

AGL4now

Any suggestions for Range Finder under $200.00 or advise on what features I should be looking for...?? I have never owned a range finder, never even used one.

Thank You

A $200 budget on a rangefinder will leave you wanting, regardless what you purchase. As I've gotten older I've slowly gotten away from the lower end purchases and instead save up and buy something that will last for years to come.

Seeing that this is a long range hunting forum, I would assume you want something that accurately ranges to 1000+ yards on something non reflective. Checking pawn shops would be my first guess. If you don't mind going used you could find a few different range finders for around $300, maybe $250 if they aren't in the best shape. I picked up a used Leica 1600b for $300 and it's decent for ranging animals out to 1200 yards.

While I agree with you, My problem is that I have never needed one in the past. Also the nearest Pawn Shop is over 100 miles away and I only go to town for supplies twice a year. It is hard to spend a lot of money on something I will likely never use. I am in my 70's so I don't really need something that will last "For years to come".

A $200 budget on a rangefinder will leave you wanting, regardless what you purchase. As I've gotten older I've slowly gotten away from the lower end purchases and instead save up and buy something that will last for years to come.

Seeing that this is a long range hunting forum, I would assume you want something that accurately ranges to 1000+ yards on something non reflective. Checking pawn shops would be my first guess. If you don't mind going used you could find a few different range finders for around $300, maybe $250 if they aren't in the best shape. I picked up a used Leica 1600b for $300 and it's decent for ranging animals out to 1200 yards.

This one is being advertised by cameraland and they're usually pretty good about recommending decent gear:
http://cameralandny.com/products.html?catalog[search][text]=Velocity+Hunter+1100+Rangefinder&catalog[sort][on]=relevance&x=0&y=0

Generally a rangefinder is only going to work to about half it's rated range on animals. The rating they advertise is on reflective objects. It's been my experience that most rangefinders rated at 600 yds or so are pretty useless in actual hunting conditions. Get one that's rated as far as you can for the money.

Guess I asked for that. So here is my opinion for what it's worth. If you are using it for archery and or distance of a couple hundred yards there are probably a lot of rangefinder that would do the trick and the sig 1200 is a good suggestion. If the stuff you want to measure is out there any where near the 1000 yard range your probably going to be frustrated with a $200 rangefinder. If you felt you could consider spending $300-$350 you could probably pick up either a Leica or one of the sig 2000 rangefinders and probably be reasonably happy. Good luck with your decision.

Thanks for helping, ......sometimes my little devil just needs to come out and play. Yes, I like the SIG KILO 2000....??? They seem to get good reviews. I am new to this long range hunting and long range shooting.

If you felt you could consider spending $300-$350 you could probably pick up either a Leica or one of the sig 2000 rangefinders and probably be reasonably happy. Good luck with your decision.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.