200 grain 6.5 revisited (Attention Elkaholic, and Hammer)

Just some thoughts for consideration...
OK Rich I've apparently painted myself into a corner. Apparently EOL and Berger are moving forward with a 155 grain 6.5 bullet.

Bob Cautericio has been making a 155 grain VLD for a few years now. I've been shooting them for at least 4 years that I can account for. Litz has even done his 'evaluation' of these bullets.

I suggest finding and reading the evaluations of the Berger version first before jumping into a project to go longer and heavier with mono-metallics. Then use a real program to establish stability factors and twist rates.

There is a problem with powder selection for cases with large capacity and shooting small diameter bullets. The bigger the case capacity and the smaller the bullet diameter, the slower the powder has to be. There are diminishing returns here since these ultra-slow powders require longer barrels. You can compromise by using less than full cases and shorter barrels but then the answer becomes, use a smaller capacity cartridge.

There are actions available for the larger rim cartridges such as the Lapua and even the Chey-Tac if you really want to go over board.

Surgeon makes the XL - $1785.00
Badger Ordnance makes the M2013 - $1385.00
Barnard makes the PLM - $1500.00

There are a couple of others but these are the ones I use. They are all well made and over-built, not clones of an oversized Remington M700. The Surgeon includes DBM bottom metal but single shots are available.

Another consideration would be to design a bore rider bullet but you would need to give design consideration to the chamber and resulting longer 'free bore'.

Enjoy the process!

...Enjoy the process!.

I am thanks!

I have the action, I was going to re-stock it any way, Steve has a reamer, we're down to needing just a barrel. Those conversations are ongoing with Rock Creek, and Bartlein at this point.

I'm not sure which program Steve, and Brian use for stability etc., I got left behind at Greenhill.

They've also burned a couple of barrels, even have one we can fire form with, and save mileage on the incoming barrel.

If it doesn't work/or if it does, I'll likely re-barrel something more conservative, and hand it off to one the young guys that shoot with us. Then decide about going with a brand bigger action.

I'm in for education, and entertainment, and will definitely share results win, lose, or draw.

The Montana 1999PH action is capable of running RUM, Lapua or Cheytac size cases and has the longest magazine available with 4.1, if I were trying to launch a cruise missile out of a long case that would be one of the first actions I'd use.

We discussed the action, and it's not the PH, DGR, or whatever the correct numerology is.

Input from Montana, indicated the Lapua case could be done, but didn't recommend it. So the RUM case got the nod. Magazine is 3.6", and port is just marginally more open, so I'm not sure if those changes are feasible. Perhaps you know?

I've been single loading the .300 Win Mag anyway.

I did see a large Montana, action only on one of the sites for $800, so it definitely holds my interest.

The standard 1999 standard long action would not be happy in a Lapua, there is some things a guy can do to the 1999 to improve it a little, there is room to extend the mag box a long Rem maybe able to be fitted with a little handy work but you'll have a lot of bullet hanging out so you may not even get there with a mag box change.
It'll be interesting to see how big a bullet Steve can cut you and the speed, I've shot a lot of the 140 CEB out of my little SS and 3200 fps was idle I could push them over 3300 if I ran N570 but it wasn't worth it because the BC not there to have any advantage, the BC on something 160+ along with speed should be interesting!!

Bartlien #11, medium Palma, at 31", 1-6" twist, in the house.

Some false starts, circular process, that came back t where I started. The adjustable McMillan A-5 didn't appear to be available for the Montana 1999, but Steve's continued digging found that it is.

If you've been involved in similar projects, you know how the calendar rules the process. 6 more months on the stock.

It's great having someone else that shares the enthusiasm for a project. Thanks Steve for the leg work, getting the specialty barrel, and stock is huge.

I think this falls gnats need to watch their ***!s, cause this thing will rock.

I want to see this thing shoot when it's done! Do you ever shoot at mica HarperC? It's gotten a lot more crowded over the last few years!

HARPERC, am I correct in assuming that the Bartlein barrels are stainless? 5R, 4 groove or 6 groove rifling?

I love my Bartlein barrels! Bartlein or Rock Creek are about all I buy anymore, when it comes to barrels.

I'd be very interested in seeing borescope pictures of these barrels after every ten rounds or so, along with load, atmospheric conditions, barrel temperature and accuracy (or accuracy deterioration) data. Would also love to see the difference in a stainless nitrite treated barrel and a stainless untreated barrel under similar shooting conditions, if you are indeed going to run two barrels in this chambering for your experiment. :)

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.