200 grain 6.5 revisited (Attention Elkaholic, and Hammer)

We shoot Mica on occasion, kind of chaotic last time I was there. I bought some steel of my own, but fire danger, smoke was too much to get out. Depending on how it lines out getting together is possible. I'll continue posting progress, remind me PM when it's up and running.
I've been looking at borescopes, thinking along similar lines. Just the one barrel for now. Hopefully, enough there to cut it a second time. We decided the coatings were another variable, and keeping it simple seemed desirable to learning what to expect from a new bullet in the beginning. Looking for good log book if anybody has a reccomendation.

Good job Carl and Steve! Man, you are a bull dog Carl.
When you get closer to making metal fly, I have a couple reamers that you can borrow. I have a throater you will need as well. This will be interesting to watch develope.....rich

It is a stainless in 5R to finish at 31" It was a little expensive since they had to purchase some new tooling to get the 6" twist. That is out of the way now. The other part of this project that will be interesting is how the RUM brass does. Last time we did this we felt that the brass was a limiting factor along with not being able to make our own projectile. If this all works out well it bodes well for running the 6.5 on the 338 Lap imp case and the and 300 Norma imp case. We have the reamers for these as well. Just need another Carl that is as curious as we are??? I think it was said earlier in this thread the reason that we did not use one of these reamers was the fact that we are using the Montana 1999 action and did not think it was a good idea to rung the larger bolt face in it. Particularly since I am sure we will push the envelope on this one.

So with some luck we will be sending bullets down range in Aug. Hurry up and wait!!

Steve

...When you get closer to making metal fly, I have a couple reamers that you can borrow. I have a throater you will need as well. This will be interesting to watch develope.....rich

Thanks Rich! I think once the bullet is good to go, it will be useful in other set ups, and I think quite often about your variations. We have so many good cases these days, the real "wildcatting" is in the bullet realm, and getting the most from whatever cases we choose.

Steve is doing the heavy lifting, I'm kind of drafting along.

We'll have to get together, and compare ideas. I have a #1 .30-06, that if it doesn't show me better this year will need a barrel.

Which gun powder is intended for use in the howitzer?
SLOW.....We will see how it goes. Not a big fan of US869 but like the ball powder in the super overbore cartridge. Hoping that the heavier bullet will allow Ramshot Magnum to work well.

Steve

I've had some consistency problems with US869 in my 25-300 RUM. Never quite understood what caused what, so I became leary of continued use. Weird stuff and unpredictable pressures.

872 or H870 is what Kirby preferred. H870 is no longer sold, and the take down military 872 powder isn't available for order where I live.

For those reasons I was leaning toward Ramshot Magnum also. If I could get 872, I would try it.

[QUOTE="phorwath, post: 1411120, member: 4191"......howitzer?.......[/QUOTE]

Howitzer? Nah! but the splat factor could be decent.

Well, once we have a bullet that survives launch!

I am shooting a 7mm Ultra rogue with a 40* shoulder. I have been shooting the 195 with it. It loves the 872. I have also been shooting the bertram edge brass with it. it is a bit stronger in the pocket area. the 872 was a lil picky with es's but once i got to a good load pressure and seat depth it fell right in there

my reamer is a .3164 neck so I turn RP brass but the bertram brass showed up with .014 neck thickness already after necking down and my loaded rounds are .312 and fit my chamber great with no turning

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts