2,051 yard chuck pics

goodgrouper

Yesterday was the end of an era. A 10 year goal of becoming the youngest VHA grand slammer was accomplished with a 2051 yard shot on a rockchuck. The mission has been a long road, full of frustrations and supernatural highs that only dedicated hunters can understand. The race to the 500,1000,1500, and 2000 yard clubs has taken many turns and has costed me and my friends tens of thousands of dollars in equipment and gas and components, but when it all ended yesterday, it felt like it was well worth the effort. Now the pressure is gone, and the memories will last a lifetime. All in all, yesterday was one of the best days of my life!

The morning started out at 11,000 feet in 50 degree weather and found 7mmrhb and myself peering through my Swaro 60x spotter at a very distant colony of unsuspecting rockchucks. After several minutes of glassing, a few 2000 yard possibilities presented themselves. Adjusting my rest and chambering a shell into the MOAG, I couldn't wait to start the 300 grain MK on it's way. With 7mmrhb spotting for me, I began to unleash the barage. My first several shots were not seen as the high elevation made my bullets hit much higher than what the computer progam was telling me. In fact, they hit probably 40 feet too high! So after a quick dial down, I started getting real close to a few of the bigger 2k chucks. The problem was that the sun was not really strong, and the chucks didn't want to hang around in one spot very long. But after awhile, we found one medium sized chuck sitting on a rock that the Wild rangefinder ranged at 1875 yards. It got a really good read because of the unexpected lack of mirage.
I dialed the rest down until the crosshairs of our Leupy 14.5-35x50 scope came to rest over the target. I then tickled the 1.5 ounce trigger and sent the Matchking on the way. 7mmrhb and I called out the miss together at about 8" high and 2' right. I quickly dialed in 2 clicks down and one minute left and fired again. After about a 2.5 second flight time, the bullet was spotted hitting about 5" low and about 5" left hitting the large rock under the chuck and blowing bits off it. A switching light wind had moved me too far.
The chuck was frightened by the smack (which was audible to us over 1 mile away) and he jumped down and went slightly farther out into the grass. I then dialed up 1 click and right one click and let loose on a third bullet. As it flew, 7mmrhb said that he felt like he had a "good feeling" about that round as it was en route to the target. Sure enough, as we both watched the bullet fly for the antagonizing 2.5 seconds, we both saw it land abruptly into the chuck! It blew mud out from behind the target on both sides of his body and he immediately went stiff as a board. He then rolled down the hill completing 3 full rollovers and came to a rest upside down about 10 feet from where he was hit!!

We began screaming and jumping around like school kids! The impossible had just been done right before our eyes!
It was the best feeling in the world and we celebrated for hours!

After the commotion had settled down, we set out to recover the chuck and take pictures. The Wild had gotten a good read of 2051 yards, but my gps actually came up with 2086 yards so we took the lesser of the two measurements.

The bullet had zipped right through him and made him bleed, but no huge disruption was evident like what we get from the polymer tipped varmint bullets at closer ranges.

After the pic session, we then went and dug out the smaller short range guns (it sounds funny to call 1000 yard guns short range!) and proceeded to lay waste to about 20 other yellow bellies. The conditions later in the day were absolutely amazing as the wind completely died and the skies were overcast making it extremely easy to connect on distant targets. At one point, between the 3 6mmbr's we had, there were about 7 or 8 one shot kills from 400 to 710 yards!! Absolutely amazing how deadly accurate the BR's are.

After a long day, we packed up and headed for home. We talked about the end of the road and what is next for my varmint hunting career. I could retire right now a happy man!

Now that it has all sunk in, a small sadness has set in. I have been striving for the goal for so long, I hate to see it end. It is kind of like climbing Mt. Everest I suppose. Once you have climbed it, no other mountain can match the experience so you look for other things. It is a bittersweet accomplishment and I only wish it would last forever.

What's next? I suppose the 408 chey tac improved with a USO 50x scope for trying the 2 mile chuck would prove a worthy goal, but for now I feel very content.

Anyway, I know you guys would like some pics so here you go:

Here is the shooting spot. I was shooting at the chucks in the rocks in green circle next to the snow drift. The red circle is a lone tree about 75 yards behind the chucks and it is roughly 15 feet tall.
2kshootingspot.jpg

Here is a pic of the rock pile where the chuck lived. The blue circle is a shrub patch about 70 yards across and can barely be seen in the above photo. The red circle is kill spot. The green bracket is the snow which is about 50 yards tall. It can also barely be seen in the pic above.
viewthruscope.jpg

This is a zoom in pic taken thru my spotter on 30x and camera zoomed all the way in. The green circle was were he was perched and the yellow circle is where he rolled to.
thespot.jpg

Here is the little critter and the little killer!
bigpic1.jpg

Another view of all the gear needed.
bigpic2.jpg

Another angle with more essential gear. Notice the most important pieces of equipment on my tailgate. Shooting don't happen without the jug of apple juice and a little salsa!
bigpic3.jpg

Here's my shot spotter. Oh, and by the way, he will need that Swaro surgically removed. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif Thanks for all your help 7mmrhb.
rolandlooking.jpg

Here is 7mmrhb looking for more vermin to slay with his deadly 6br. Notice how deep the snow still is.
lookinformore.jpg

And finally, here is my little 6br set up on the sniper's nest overlooking a big canyon (not shown for confidentiality) full of targets.
snipernest.jpg

I also just wanted to say thankyou to all my friends and family who have helped me and incouraged me along the way. A huge thanks to my #1 shooting partner and colleague in mayhem, Uncle Brian. It has been a long and winding road my friend, and I'm sorry you couldn't have been there when it ended.
Also, to my other partner in crime, Roland. Thanks for your help in the quest. I could not have done it without you and some of your inventions. This odyessy has been a fine line between a hobby and a mental illness!

And also, thanks to everyone here on LRH that have kept me interested in the shooting sports and whom have helped me with my questions. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Good night!

GG:

AWESOME !!! Fantastic story and pictures. I know you've spent a lot of time and money and it's been interesting watching the saga progress through the yardages but I'm sure you would do it again in a heartbeat.

Keep working and stretching the yardage. See, now you have a good excuse for another new gun!

Again, congratulations and now work on your partners in crime and get them into the 2K club also.

The gun pioneers on Pioneer day in Utah! I hope you all know you are always welcome at my campfire. Does this mean you are going to look for a goodlooking gun loving wife now? Preacher

AMAZING!!!

I'll go ahead and throw out one of the first of many congrats!!! And to think people around here call Lerch and I obsessed. At least now I know we aren't the craziest varmint hunting fanatics in the world.

Congrats again on some fine shooting and thanks for the great pics!!

BTW, just how old is the youngest VHA grandslammer. I think I may be a little long in the tooth to get ya but Lerch might give you a run for your money /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif!!!

Have a good night,
B.J.

GG congrats on reaching you goal!!! Now you have to set some new ones to reach! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Great work to you and your partners in crime!
Whats next for you the gang? 3K chuck?? 2 mile chuck??
Lets hear it.

GG - excellent write up of a great story. Why don't you get it published? I'm sure there are several rags that would love to run or even feature your story.

Now you can declare everyone who has a confirmed kill less than 2K [ QUOTE ]
<font color="purple"> inexperienced, But that's OK </font>

[/ QUOTE ] /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

A true story that is better than beyond belief.

9gip13.jpg

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Congratulations.

Life is always better when one sets difficult goals and works hard to achieve them. Sometimes we don't achieve them, but if we know we tried hard and did our best that is enough. When we do achieve them, it is really special.

When you get rested up and through celebrating, let us know whats next.

Amazing GoodGrouper, I had been anxiously awaiting the next MOAG story!
Keep them coming!

Kevin,
Congratulations! Wow!, Wow! and just so I make myself clear ,Wow! I,m chuckling as I think of the events that immediately followed the shot /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif Jim B.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.