Meager 1130ish yard Chuck Pics

HoytemanPA

Well it sure pales in comparison to 2051, (excellent job by the way Goodgrouper!) but a tenth of the rifle, (26 inch Savage 112bvss 25-06) a quarter the scope,(6.5x20 1 inch Leupold with elev turret added by Premier Reticles) a fifth of the bench, (homemade with interchangeable front bags)a third of the bullet,(115 grain Nosler Ballistic Tips), a quarter of the rangefinder (Bushnell 1000 ranged off from the trees to the left) Don't even know the fraction of the optics, (8 power Tasco binocs and a 60X Weaver for Spotter)but OVER HALF WAY THERE!!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Was up getting my Dad into shooting some long range with his Rem heavy barreled 25-06 two weekends ago and after a couple of attempts we got him connected with a 550 yard chuck. We were both quite happy with the results as this was probably double any distance he had previously shot.

I had my 25-06 along that I had been using quite regular this year and took a few at various yardages but up and until this point 561 yards was it's previous longest confirmed kill with the little 25.

I toted it to the 1K range with me one afternoon to check my drop chart and after putting a few on the clays, I decided to sling the remaining 7 at a target. Well it shot 9 inches that day, this following a 12 plus group I had done during match with my 1K light gun. Bullets were kind of going in a little crooked but were in there nonetheless.

I was glassing the far off field and spotted one....OUT THERE. I ranged what I could on a bench of trees to the left and I could get a 1075 reading. He was farther up the hill from what I could tell so I dialed in for 1100 and put 6 MOA on for wind. My Dad's 75 grainers at 550 had about 4 on at the time of that kill and 6 just kinda felt right.

I told my Dad "Go ahead" and I watched as the little 115 dropped down and to the right of the chuck. He ran back over towards the trees and I went over and dialed another 4 MOA wind in and ended up at 37MOA on the scope. I just got the scope dialed when the little bugger came right back out and stood straight up.

I said to my Dad, "He's right back there, take him!" He had a little grin on his face and a look in his eyes that read "Boy you need to stop this foolishness" but he simply said "You go on ahead, I'll watch."

I layed out five shells on the bench and told him this might take a couple, watch close for the impact in case I can't see it. I held center and squeezed it off. The 12.5 lb savage rides pretty well in the preformed bag and I slid it back to see the result. Well there wasn't any impact to be witnessed just a chuck that tipped straight back like a bowling pin.

I looked back and my Dad was just sitting there gazing at the ground. He took one more peek through the glass and then back at me and said simply "Well Holy Sheeet!"

It was quite a ride out and around the fields to pick up my prize and to tell the truth I ain't really came down yet! The 1130 is my best guess as in pacing up from about where I ranged the trees and where I was on my drop chart so it's not exact, didn't think of using the GPS..... Just got to get a Wilde now....and break out the other rifles!!!!

1130savagechuck1s.jpg

1130savagechuck2s.jpg

1130savagechuck5s.jpg

Long range hunting.....Ain't nothing like it!!!!!

<font color="brown"> Outstanding! </font> Nothing meager about 1100+ yards.
My dad always gave me the first shot then cleaned up /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Great shooting Hoyteman!!
Reading all you guys stories makes me wanna shot some PD's and Chucks bad!!
Anybody know a good spot in N.C.??
Congrats again on your great shooting!!

Congratulations

That was quite an accomplishement and I am sure you Dad enjoyed sharing it with you. My son left this morning for three weeks to work on Sleeping Bear Island clearing trails and I already miss him.

In my opinion the 25-06 is just about one of the finest cartridges ever put together .

Great shooting and congrats!!!

Those factory Savages sure do shoot, don't they /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif!?!?!

Now you'll just have to try the 1500 yarder.

HoytemanPA:

Congratulations and great story and pics. Don't ever think 1130 yards is meager. I know people that couldn't kill a chuck at 1/10 that distance. Bring on the Wilde and stretch it out even more.

Great shooting!
That is some pretty country out there. Reminds me of the time I visited Gettysburg.

So, going for 1500 next?
If you do, grab some Berger 115 vld's. They dwarf the bc of the Nosler b-tips and will get you 1500 no sweat. Just remember to jam 'em into the lands about .020".

HoytemanPA,

Thanks, really enjoyable story. (Good pics too...almost looks as pretty as England! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif)

I have just got me a 25-06 the exact same Savage as yours. I am going to try some of RIchards 120-130 gr ULD RBBT bullets and se how they do. I am planning on using this as my 1k gun and maybe a little father.

Congrats on the long shot,

As GoodGrouper told me, the world looks a little different through the eyes of a bonafide 1k killer, doesn't it.

Good Job
Steve

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.