2,051 yard chuck pics

Run a search on "M.O.A.G." and click on 338 moag pics and story.
There are many of the details in there that will help you see what is available.

Your six five is good to one mile if using 140 bergers or 142 sierras. I joined the 1500 yard club with my six five and I usually don't shoot it at anything under 1200 unless it's windy or I'm doing some testing.
good shooting.

Jim,
Once again you showed us how it is done! Great story and fine images. We all appreciate you and your shooting, and your generosity for sharing these achievements with folks from all over the world!

You and your buddies are truly long-rangers, but to our good fortune you are sharing the super-long stuff with us in a manner that we can all enjoy and not feel that you are talking down to us. Thanks.

That is one HECK of a bench, by the way! What is the salsa for?

Sent you an e-mail again but not sure it is getting through.

Keven,
If for any reason you need a higher quality picture(s), just send a copy of the origninal with instructions.
I just sent you an e-mail. I'm leaving to Arizona in 3 hours and be back on tuesday morning.
Great Shooting!

GG,

Is that a challenge /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif?

As you may soon understand, maybe there should be a place for the youngest VHA grandslammer that is married /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif!!

[ QUOTE ]
How's it go, ominous dominous mi philli mi boni belli oy?

[/ QUOTE ]
Yep, anything along those lines will work. The hunting gods will know you are sincere and that lets them know the HoHo is for them and not just for the roadside animals. Thay are listening for the latin sounding words.

Thank you Ian. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

It is a well known fact among my shooting partners that my appetite disappears when I have guns in my hands or hunting on the brain. I can walk miles and hunt all day on nothing more than an apple and a stick of jerky. I have been known to starve my buddies unintentionally on hunting trips so uncle B started bringing salsa and chips along so we could munch while we're shooting and not have to stop to make lunch!

Oh, by the way, I checked my email and what you sent must have got lost again. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif
Maybe it is because you left out the underscore?

Goodgrouper, I looked for "M.O.A.G." and couldn't find it. I am new at LRS and still learning. I have decided to build a 338 Lupa Improved. I am going to build it on 10" BAT Action, Hart 32" Barrel 1.750 Straight Taper with Muzzel break, McMillan 50 HBR Stock w/weight added, jewell trigger, ect. It should weigh around 65lb's. Let me know if this is similar to your rig. Thanks!!

wildcat here is a link to the M.O.A.G thread
Your rig sounds similar to the M.O.A.G but it only weighs around 50 pounds. Good reading in the thread.

Great achievement and presentation. When I read an earlier post of yours about the MOAG, the setting and equipment gave me a deja-vue feeling of days of old when Knights were jousting. To some extent that's what we are doing I think a kind of sporting event, but with more to it.

I hope your group goes on a big elk hunt this year and has pictures and stories of nearly unbelievable adventure and shooting and pictures with large antlered Elk and Deer. To help in this regard I just got off the phone with Richard of Wildcatbullets and he says the 338 jackets are on the way /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

I found the story about your rifle. I know you said your stock is a McMillan, However, I didnt see any information about what model it was. It looks like the 50 HBR. If it is, could you give me some feed back on how it works for you. I am trying to decide between the 50 HBR or The Tooley MBR stock with lead added. If I go with the 50 HBR, the rifle will weight around 50 to 60 LB's. However, if I go with the MBR, the rifle will weight around 30 to 35 lbs and it will track better on the sand bags or rest. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!! Wildcat

It is the 50 HBR stock modified for the huge barrel block and it has lead added also.

In all reality, this rifle tracks like a dream. It is so steady on the bags that you don't even really have to worry about the bubble level once you get it level the first time. Even in a 35 mph wind (which we have tried to shoot in) the rifle won't even vibrate. This is soooo important because at 2k, if you aren't totally solid, you can see the crosshair cover 10 feet of ground on slight pre-firing movement that would only move a regular bench gun a little bit at 1k.

At first I thought that this rifle could weigh 30 pounds and just have a brake instead of weighing 52 pounds, but now I am glad that it weighs so much. I really think accurate 2k shooting must be done with a rifle somewhere in this weight class. I have shot a half dozen 50 BMG's in the 30 pound weights and they just are a little harder to keep absolutely still (before and AFTER recoil /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif) at 1 mile plus.

I would recommend the 40-60 pounds for your rig, but 80 pounds would be a little overkill for a .338. It would be great on a 408 chey tac though. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

One thing you must also get that is as important as the gun is the rest. The pedestals are good, but don't hold the rifle against recoil and with a super long barrel (34" plus) this is a problem because the bullet hasn't left the barrel before the rifle recoils back. This results in vertical stringing often called "magnum shot". This effect was witnessed with the MOAG and it was actually quite severe. At 2k, one out of every 6 or 7 shots would go 2-3 minutes high for no other reason. So I would recommend a one piece rest with a recoil strap around the butt of the rifle or a muzzle brake or both.

Hope this helps.

Can't wait to get to my hands on some of those Wildcatters! Even if they were all dropped on the meplats on a concrete floor they would still be more consistent than the 300 gr MK!

If Richard can get me some on time, I would try them on an upcoming cow elk hunt at 1 mile. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Should be tons of fun.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.